Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Room Layout Any Suggestions?
Room Layout Any Suggestions? [message #66302] Thu, 24 February 2011 19:11 Go to next message
PopcornAlley is currently offline  PopcornAlley
Chancellor
I have been reading the information on how to get the best sound for your set up. My problem is that where our Family Room is there are four entrances into the room. This creates a problem because there is very limited wall space, and no wall in the back of the room. Any suggestions on how to get the best acoustics from a room layout like this one?
Re: Room Layout Any Suggestions? [message #66508 is a reply to message #66302] Sat, 05 March 2011 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
We have the same issue in our house. We put our rear speakers on the far wall but that does mean they are too far back. You could hang rear speakers from the ceiling.
Re: Room Layout Any Suggestions? [message #69221 is a reply to message #66302] Sun, 28 August 2011 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jenna is currently offline  Jenna
Esquire
With four entrances, how would you control the noise level coming from the other rooms? Also, doesn't the four entrances affect the acoustics of the room? I would think it would be very distracting to watch TV or have a conversation with this type of set up.
Re: Room Layout Any Suggestions? [message #69223 is a reply to message #69221] Sun, 28 August 2011 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Actually, the entrances breakup standing waves, potentially reducing your room modes. It may be a very good room for a sound system.

Re: Room Layout Any Suggestions? [message #69508 is a reply to message #69223] Fri, 16 September 2011 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christy is currently offline  Christy
Chancellor
I say have the speakers hanging from your ceiling, too. We have a strange set up in our living room. I had to hang my speakers from the ceiling, because the back wall was too far away.
Re: Room Layout Any Suggestions? [message #76151 is a reply to message #66302] Wed, 03 April 2013 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Danny is currently offline  Danny
Master
I actually think it is pretty cool to have many entrances to a room. You should just make sure you keep the doors closed once you are in it.
Re: Room Layout Any Suggestions? [message #78622 is a reply to message #66302] Wed, 11 December 2013 23:12 Go to previous message
PageantDirector is currently offline  PageantDirector
Chancellor
My husband and I used to live in an apartment that sounds like it was set up in a very similar way and we ended up having to hang our speakers from the ceiling to get it to sound right.
Previous Topic: Terrible Room
Next Topic: Improving Drum Acoustics
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:12:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout