Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 1/2 PI Crossover
1/2 PI Crossover [message #69299] Fri, 02 September 2011 13:29 Go to next message
steve f is currently offline  steve f
Master
I was doing a site search about crossover frequency, but I couldn't find the frequency for those wonderful 1/2 PI speakers. I'm probably an inept searcher. A buddy asked me about my one PI's and I honestly couldn't answer.
I think they are both much better than the "muddy" woofer systems in a lot of so called audiophile products.

Steve
Re: 1/2 PI Crossover [message #69302 is a reply to message #69299] Fri, 02 September 2011 14:33 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Since it's first-order, there's really no clear-cut crossover "point", more like a blended overlap region between 1kHz and 4kHz. This helps make the directivity smoother.

The general trend of a cone/dome speaker is that of pattern narrowing from bass to midrange, and then widening back up as the tweeter takes over only to begin narrowing again. This is mitigated by blending the drivers - With a wide overlap region, the directivity tends to remain more constant.

The driver with the widest pattern tends to set the directivity, provided they are properly phased (as is the case here). So what you have is a pattern that's omnidirectional down low, narrowing to the (180°) baffle angle in the midrange, where it remains constant until the tweeter's pattern narrows in the top-octave.

Previous Topic: Damping material placement
Next Topic: Should I build (2 or 3) 4Pi Mains?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 05:48:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio