Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Used / Second Hand JBL 2225H
Used / Second Hand JBL 2225H [message #69131] Tue, 23 August 2011 01:26 Go to next message
Maxjr is currently offline  Maxjr
Baron
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to purchase a pair of second hand JBL 2225H speakers. This seems to be the best place for JBL advice as there are many knowledgeable JBL authorities here Very Happy Does anyone have pictures of how they would look if they were all original? And how about pictures of them reconed with authentic JBL cones? There are so many aftermarket reconed JBLs out there that I want to be aware of what they look like and stay away.

Also any advice on purchasing used speakers? I probably won't be able to listen to them as I'll be buying gem over the net. I will ask the owner to push on the cone and feel for scratching/scrubbing of the voice coil. Also, how much difference does the it make to have both speakers have similar measured impedance across the terminals? Thanks for all the help in advance!

Cheers!
Joel
Re: Used / Second Hand JBL 2225H [message #69142 is a reply to message #69131] Tue, 23 August 2011 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The photo below shows a four π loudspeaker with a JBL 2226 woofer. The 2205 and 2225 woofers look like that too, and speakers reconed with JBL recone kits look exactly the same as originals. As for purchasing used, I would either prefer to buy from a trusted source, and get one that I knew was either in perfect as-new condition (whether reconed or original) for around $200 or just get the basket without the cone for around $100. Then you can get it reconed yourself and be certain of getting a JBL recone kit.

http://lonestaraudiofest.com/2009/Photos/PiSpeakers_02.jpg

Re: Used / Second Hand JBL 2225H [message #69145 is a reply to message #69142] Tue, 23 August 2011 17:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Hi Wayne! Thanks for the picture and great explanation.

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww106/cpf_maxspeeds/misc004.jpg
http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww106/cpf_maxspeeds/misc001.jpg

How about these two JBLs? They are 2225Hs. They appear to be of different generations from the looks of the vent and speaker terminals. One also appears to be an authentic JBL recone (the one on the left with the brown ring on the underside of the cone and white writing. How will these two sound together as a pair in a stereo system? Is it possible that they will be noticeably different?

Is it better to pass on them and try to get either two authentic recones, or two all originals? Or, will they be ok? Thanks again for all your help!
Re: Used / Second Hand JBL 2225H [message #69146 is a reply to message #69145] Tue, 23 August 2011 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's hard to say. The brownish color near the surround is probably original or a very old recone. The other is probably a recone that was done more recently, within the last decade. It may be a JBL recone though. If you don't know for sure, I'd not pay as much for the speaker.

Re: Used / Second Hand JBL 2225H [message #69147 is a reply to message #69146] Tue, 23 August 2011 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Thank you, Wayne! I'll proceed with caution.
Re: Used / Second Hand JBL 2225H [message #69149 is a reply to message #69147] Tue, 23 August 2011 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I forgot to mention one speaker measures 6.1 ohm and the other measures 6.7 ohm across the terminals. Will this affect sound quality?
Re: Used / Second Hand JBL 2225H [message #69150 is a reply to message #69149] Tue, 23 August 2011 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm not real happy with those readings. The voice coil resistance should be 6.3Ω. Could be that your meter isn't zeroed, but even if that's true, one of them is off.

Note of interest for measuring DCR of drivers! [message #69183 is a reply to message #69150] Thu, 25 August 2011 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wayne Parham wrote on Tue, 23 August 2011 22:32

I'm not real happy with those readings. The voice coil resistance should be 6.3Ω. Could be that your meter isn't zeroed, but even if that's true, one of them is off.

Not wanting to rain on your parade Wayne, but let's add to be sure the terminals/connectors are getting a clean reading.

I do a lot of vintage/older driver spkr projects and when I get a reading that is suspect I like to see if I'm getting the best contact for the best reading.

Regards, Ron
DCR of drivers [message #69186 is a reply to message #69183] Thu, 25 August 2011 11:14 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's true. In fact, resistance isn't even constant - It changes as a function of frequency. I'm not talking about inductance, which obviously also changes as a function of frequency. Resistance actually changes too. But in this case, we're just talking about the voice coil resistance as measured with a DC ohmmeter. It should be 6.3Ω for that driver. If both were a little high, I'd suspect the meter weren't zeroed. But since one is high and the other is low, at least one of them is off. Could be bad connections, could be the voice coil. But something is off.

Previous Topic: 2-Pi towers or 3-Pi's ?
Next Topic: 4Pi Speaker Plans request
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 09:44:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout