Home » Audio » General » Video Game Sound Design Jobs
Video Game Sound Design Jobs [message #69026] Mon, 15 August 2011 09:36 Go to next message
LizardBat is currently offline  LizardBat
Baron
I'm really interested in breaking into creating sound designs for console video games. I have a huge list of developers and publishers I wish to contact, but I wanted to ask if anyone has any suggestions for exactly what I should include when I contact them? I was thinking CV, music examples, and a cover letter with my statement of intent. That sounds a little bare bones to me, though. What am I missing?
Re: Video Game Sound Design Jobs [message #69070 is a reply to message #69026] Thu, 18 August 2011 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Danny is currently offline  Danny
Master
Well, you don't want overkill. I think what you have there is about right. Just make it good! Keep it simple, to the point and make sure it is your very best!
Re: Video Game Sound Design Jobs [message #69100 is a reply to message #69026] Sat, 20 August 2011 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
That sounds pretty good. Hopefully they will be interested enough to listen to your portfolio. Are the music samples set to a game or just by themselves?
Re: Video Game Sound Design Jobs [message #69136 is a reply to message #69026] Tue, 23 August 2011 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Thanks folks!

AA90: The music is just audio files. I have a set of excerpts from some ambient tracks I created for some film work (5) and then a few special effects type mini tracks (20). I have them set up as a ZIP file to send electronically or I can burn them to a disc if they prefer a hard copy. I was even thinking about having them printed up professionally, but I decided that would be a better idea for after having a gig or two under my belt.

I am approaching this as working freelance, too, because I am worried about copyright issues and things like that. Also, I believe it will pay better. Any thoughts on that?
Re: Video Game Sound Design Jobs [message #69140 is a reply to message #69136] Tue, 23 August 2011 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Your work is technically copyrighted once it's created, but it's good to register it as well. As for freelance work, you have to spend more time selling yourself and it is less secure, but you also get more flexibility and possibly higher pay, so it may be worth looking into.
Re: Video Game Sound Design Jobs [message #69151 is a reply to message #69026] Wed, 24 August 2011 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Yeah. I used to send myself cassettes of my works in the post to date them by the government and therefore prove copyright. How funny is that? I do need to register my tracks when I start working with a publisher or designer. The works I am sending are mostly already copyrighted publicly. A very good point AA90!

And again with the freelance position. I am worried about getting roped into working with one company that owns my copyrights to my music. You get paid a lot less and then you are stuck working for a single employer, and if they have no work for you, you're doomed!
Re: Video Game Sound Design Jobs [message #69581 is a reply to message #69140] Fri, 23 September 2011 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Danny is currently offline  Danny
Master
If you can establish yourself, sometimes word gets around. A lot of time, people will use your services, based on a good recommendation. Try not to sell yourself short, which is easily done when you work for someone else.
Re: Video Game Sound Design Jobs [message #69619 is a reply to message #69581] Mon, 26 September 2011 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Siren is currently offline  Siren
Chancellor
I have alwayd enjoyed video game music. It often gets stuck in my head! The only advice I have, is be persistant. If one place turns you down, go to the next one. Maybe, if a place turns you down, they will give you pointers on your music. Then, you can fine tune your music.
Re: Video Game Sound Design Jobs [message #69693 is a reply to message #69026] Tue, 04 October 2011 06:47 Go to previous message
DJ Dave is currently offline  DJ Dave
Viscount
I've never really put much thought into game sounds, but I guess it would be a decent profession. Most people want to create video games, and don't even think about the sound end of it.
Previous Topic: Phones as music players
Next Topic: Gaming Headsets
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 14:59:10 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout