Home » Audio » Home Theater » LED or LCD? (What's the difference?)
LED or LCD? [message #66314] Fri, 25 February 2011 13:47 Go to next message
Scoot is currently offline  Scoot
Baron
Once again, technology is ahead of me. I went to the store looking at flat screen TVs, and there were signs saying "LED" on some of the screens and "LCD" on others. So, which do I want?

Most of our seating is fairly straight-on, so viewing from an angle is not an issue. Our main TV (the one this one would replace) is next to a west-facing window, in a room that also has south-facing windows. Glare is often a problem, especially in the mid-morning (sun in the south) and early evening (sun in the west).
Re: LED or LCD? [message #66454 is a reply to message #66314] Thu, 03 March 2011 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SiliconChip is currently offline  SiliconChip
Chancellor
LED TVs/monitors (not to be confused with LED-backlit LCDs) are the newer technology and more expensive. They have some advantages over LCDs: superior picture quality (images may "burn" in LCD displays), about 40% less energy use than a same sized LCD, are mercury free (so are much better for the environment, unlike LCD) and have a very thin design and are half the weight.

I have two standard sized LED monitors and they are great.
Re: LED or LCD? [message #67067 is a reply to message #66454] Fri, 15 April 2011 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tiktokontheclock is currently offline  tiktokontheclock
Chancellor
I picked up a really cheap LED at Costco a few weeks ago. It was actually cheaper than the LCDs available. I've already noticed a reduction in my energy usage, and the picture is great. I highly recommend LEDs.
Re: LED or LCD? [message #67195 is a reply to message #66314] Sun, 24 April 2011 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
We have an LED TV as well. I found the picture quality to be better and of course I love the lower power usage and lack of mercury.
Re: LED or LCD? [message #69096 is a reply to message #67195] Sat, 20 August 2011 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
moviegeek is currently offline  moviegeek
Chancellor
I will be buying a big-screen TV for my new house soon and I'm glad I didn't buy sooner because this new LED technology is much better than the LCD.

Looking forward to enjoying the latest movies on my LED TV soon.
Re: LED or LCD? [message #69111 is a reply to message #66314] Mon, 22 August 2011 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hannah is currently offline  Hannah
Chancellor
If LED is better in picture quality and more environment friendly then why is it that manufacturers still produce LCD TV's?

I've been to the mall this weekend and saw this 3D LED TV. I was drooling at it and I will surely save money to buy it.
Re: LED or LCD? [message #69148 is a reply to message #69111] Tue, 23 August 2011 20:09 Go to previous message
moviegeek is currently offline  moviegeek
Chancellor
Well, not everyone can afford to buy an LED so they still need to have the lower-end choices. I happen to be a sucker for new technology so I'm saving up for it.
Previous Topic: Please help a noob pick 5.1 speakers
Next Topic: Home Theater System With Central Control Console?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 09:44:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio