Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2-Pi towers or 3-Pi's ? (Sound comparison.)
2-Pi towers or 3-Pi's ? [message #69106] Sun, 21 August 2011 19:10 Go to next message
Wayne-o is currently offline  Wayne-o
Master
Comparing the two both in a 3.8 cu. ft box 20x30x14 tuned to around 40-44 hz. Tone is very close to being the same. What stands out on the 2-pi is the silky treble and maybe a little more Fat on the low end. Not much if any volume difference.
On the 3-Pi's more true to life mid range. This is at a normal volume range around 1 watt average. When the power goes up the 3-pi's impact or dynamics start to prevail above 10 watts or more. OK I prefer to build both of them. They are both High Fidelity.
Re: 2-Pi towers or 3-Pi's ? [message #69108 is a reply to message #69106] Sun, 21 August 2011 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I find that to be a pretty accurate assessment, especially when comparing the two π tower with the stock (all-Eminence) three π speaker. The two π tower has deep, full bass and nice smooth treble. It definitely has audiophile qualities, and is worthy of critical studio listening. On the other hand, the three π has smoother midrange and can be played much louder. It also offers uniform directivity, allowing that magic stereo imaging over a wide listening area when setup properly.

Now then, the whole scale tips when you go with the upgraded drivers. Of course, the cost scale tips a bit more too. The stock three π kit is $320.00, about 3x the cost of the ($90.00) two π tower kit. So it's more, but not outrageously so. The upgraded drivers kick it up a bit though, an extra $475.00 for the fully upgraded woofer, tweeter and the 15gu. coil and Mills resistor upgrades. That's $795.00 for the kit with upgraded drivers, coils and resistors. Auricaps bump it another $225.00, for a total kit price of $1020.00. That's about 3x the stock three π kit price, well over 10x the price of the two π tower kit price. So it's in a different price range.

But this is the price for a true audiophile speaker, and I would say that it is definitely worth the extra money. In audiophile dollars, a thousand bucks is chump change, yet I would describe the fully upgraded three π speaker as a price-no-object design. It doesn't have any compromises, the bass is deep and powerful, midrange is silky smooth and the treble is detailed and airy without being strident on any passages. It is both delicate and powerful, a real world-class speaker.

Re: 2-Pi towers or 3-Pi's ? [message #69109 is a reply to message #69106] Sun, 21 August 2011 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
The 3-Pi's are (all-Eminence) with the stock crossover from Pi speakers. I ordered mine for the 4-Pi's and changed out the 2-20uf
capacitors to 10 uf. and bypassed the the .5mh chokes as in the 3-pi schematic.
Re: 2-Pi towers or 3-Pi's ? [message #69114 is a reply to message #69109] Mon, 22 August 2011 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I understand, and would have described the strengths and weaknesses of each loudspeaker exactly the same way you have. Just wanted to expand the discussion a little bit, to include some comments about the upgrade path.

Re: 2-Pi towers or 3-Pi's ? [message #69141 is a reply to message #69106] Tue, 23 August 2011 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I wish the Pi Logos were twice as large. They seem the right size for the 1-Pi's but the 3-Pis sort of overpower them. Not to be critical, I sure appreciate all your help and expert advice.
Thanks.
Re: 2-Pi towers or 3-Pi's ? [message #69156 is a reply to message #69106] Wed, 24 August 2011 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Ok, I am going to do a low bass test. I do this by listening for the low e-string on the bass fiddle and the electric bass. These sounds played through most speakers are mistaken for a drum beat.

Speakers will be tuned to Pi's specs.
Re: 2-Pi towers or 3-Pi's ? [message #69158 is a reply to message #69156] Wed, 24 August 2011 13:32 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

One of the listening tests I do is with the song "I've Seen All Good People" by "Yes". It has a pair of sixteenth note bass drum strikes that sound like a single note on underdamped (boom boom) speakers. I used to always call those kinds of woofers "mudmotors". If I can't hear both strikes clearly, the speaker doesn't pass the "mudmotor" test. Smile

Previous Topic: Information about Pi Speakers
Next Topic: Used / Second Hand JBL 2225H
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 19:37:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout