Home » Audio » Speaker » Making 3.1 into 5.1 Setup
Making 3.1 into 5.1 Setup [message #69033] Tue, 16 August 2011 01:48 Go to next message
Yaser is currently offline  Yaser
Chancellor
Is it good to just add 2 more speakers to a 3.1 setup to make it into a 5.1? What do I need to do in order to make that setup correct? Is it alright to just connect the speakers together?
Re: Making 3.1 into 5.1 Setup [message #69036 is a reply to message #69033] Tue, 16 August 2011 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The device that provides right/left/center channel outputs also provides surround outputs. Use those.

Re: Making 3.1 into 5.1 Setup [message #69171 is a reply to message #69036] Wed, 24 August 2011 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thanks for that. I will try to connect this kind of setup. I'm just wondering, can I connect as many speakers as I want or does that depend on the channel outputs? Can I put 2 speakers on one channel output?
Re: Making 3.1 into 5.1 Setup [message #69184 is a reply to message #69171] Thu, 25 August 2011 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You can connect two speakers on one channel, provided the amplifier minimum impedance is observed. For example, if the minimum impedance is 4Ω, then you can safely connect two 8Ω speakers in parallel across the amplifier output. But you could not connect two 4Ω speakers, because then the impedance would be below the minimum.

Another thing to consider though is there is usually little to be gained from doing this. Except in prosound, where you need a lot of SPL, you can generally get better results using a single speaker for each channel. Put your money in a good speaker that does what you want it to do and use one per channel. If you want surround sound, use a processor that has surround channel outputs.

Re: Making 3.1 into 5.1 Setup [message #69188 is a reply to message #69033] Thu, 25 August 2011 23:15 Go to previous message
Chancellor
I appreciate the explanation. Where do I find the impedance of the speaker and the amplifier? Anyhow, I guess you are about getting a better speaker than doing this setup. I just wanted to have a surround my watching with speakers so that I would feel very close to what I'm watching.
Previous Topic: Cone Size
Next Topic: The AudioKarma Econo-Waveguide Speaker
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:42:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout