Home » Audio » General » Ear: Trainable or Not?
Ear: Trainable or Not? [message #68965] Wed, 10 August 2011 09:16 Go to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Some people have a really great ear when it comes to music and audio production. Do you think this is an inherent talent or something that can be developed?
Re: Ear: Trainable or Not? [message #68991 is a reply to message #68965] Sat, 13 August 2011 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ebirah01 is currently offline  Ebirah01
Chancellor

I think it is both. In my experience, some people have a better sense of hearing pitch initially than others, but I have found that in teaching ear training and taking those same classes previously, I found almost any student that put the time in to learn the pitches could do it easily. Reproducing them via singing may or may not be the same thing as hearing and identifying them, however. Discerning pitch is to what I refer here.
Re: Ear: Trainable or Not? [message #68995 is a reply to message #68991] Sat, 13 August 2011 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
You bring up a good point that I overlooked. I do know people who are very talented in identifying pitch but cannot reproduce the proper pitch themselves.
Re: Ear: Trainable or Not? [message #69010 is a reply to message #68995] Sat, 13 August 2011 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I can match a note with my guitar when listening to a song, but if I tune it by "memory" I will always tune 1/2 step down on every string. That's where it sounds right to me, but check it against a tuner and I'm always flat.
Re: Ear: Trainable or Not? [message #69016 is a reply to message #68965] Sun, 14 August 2011 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hannah is currently offline  Hannah
Chancellor
There are people who have a talent in distinguishing the right tones through birth and others by learning. I have even read an article where a person could see colors on the music. I don't how that works but that would be amazing if we could see colors in music.
Re: Ear: Trainable or Not? [message #69035 is a reply to message #69016] Tue, 16 August 2011 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
If I saw colors in music without the aid of hallucinogens, I'd probably take myself off to see a neurologist! Laughing

I wonder how it works; what color does he see if the pitch is off?
Re: Ear: Trainable or Not? [message #69044 is a reply to message #68965] Wed, 17 August 2011 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Danny is currently offline  Danny
Master
Any type of skills can be developed, but a "natural" will always do better. When you have a natural talent, you go with your gut feelings, and it usually works out better.
Re: Ear: Trainable or Not? [message #69319 is a reply to message #69044] Sat, 03 September 2011 21:30 Go to previous message
moviegeek is currently offline  moviegeek
Chancellor
I think that it is both. Some people are born with a natural ear for pitch, as in good singers. However, regardless of their natural talent, training and practice will certainly improve their listening skill.
Previous Topic: Crackling Earbuds
Next Topic: Computer Audio
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 10:08:42 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout