Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Microphone Patterns
Microphone Patterns [message #68383] Wed, 29 June 2011 10:48 Go to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Different microphones have different pickup patterns: omnidirectional, cardioid, hypercardioid, bidirectional, etc. Do you tend to favor one pattern over any others?

I generally use cardioid the most.
Re: Microphone Patterns [message #68397 is a reply to message #68383] Thu, 30 June 2011 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doppler is currently offline  Doppler
Chancellor
I've come across something like hypercardioid. From what I've read, it picks up very little sound from the sides and the rear. It also has the heart-shaped pattern of cardioid in which the front is the most sensitive to sound.
Re: Microphone Patterns [message #68455 is a reply to message #68383] Sun, 03 July 2011 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yes, the hypercardioid pattern is more tightly focused towards the front, which can be very useful, but still I end up using cardioid the most frequently.
Re: Microphone Patterns [message #68905 is a reply to message #68383] Mon, 08 August 2011 09:07 Go to previous message
Goatmaster is currently offline  Goatmaster
Chancellor
It greatly depends on the situation (what shall I be recording) and what mics are available during the session (sometimes I use other people's gear). Omni s are good for recording bluegrass performers, whereas shotguns are better for pinpointing low volume playing within an array of louder instruments when you cannot get a close mic in place without risking bleed through. Cartiods are most common, in part, because they are often less expensive. That does not make their quality and value for recording any less, however. I use them all with regularity.
Previous Topic: Miking Drum Sets
Next Topic: Electronic Drum kit
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:52:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout