Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Random 3pi vs 4pi Question
Random 3pi vs 4pi Question [message #68816] Tue, 02 August 2011 13:05 Go to next message
dutchswan0311 is currently offline  dutchswan0311
Viscount
Which would perform better (or at the very least how would the performance differ) between a 3pi built to spec with all of the upgrades when compared to a sealed 4pi with the horn centered over the woofer, also with all of the upgrades?

I an still tossing back and forth between the 3pi and 4pi for the stage pair for live music. I like the look of the 3pi, but just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing out on the larger mid-woofer of the 4pi. I know Wayne has pretty much answered this question already stating that, all things being equal, the 3pi and 4pi perform similarly. I just wanted to ask how they compare when all things are not equal.
Re: Random 3pi vs 4pi Question [message #68817 is a reply to message #68816] Tue, 02 August 2011 14:59 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

A four π speaker modified to be sealed has no bass. The standard vented version goes lower, which is important for modal smoothing. If you're running three speakers, the center can probably be made sealed but I definitely wouldn't do all three that way. The three π speaker has a little more output below 50Hz, but is also 3dB less efficient through the passband. This may not matter considering the fact that subs are used but it's something to consider.

As for the rest of the comparison - from about 60Hz up - it really is about the midwoofers chosen. Both are really good speakers, and I think both will satisfy the most discriminating listeners. You just have to choose which woofer family you prefer, JBL or Acoustic Elegance.

Previous Topic: 2pi 1pi left and right.
Next Topic: Subwoofer hook-up
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 02:20:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout