Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Attention Everyone: Post Pictures of your 3pi speaker here (Looking for ideas on customizing the aesthetics of a 3pi build.)
Re: Attention Everyone: Post Pictures of your 3pi speaker here [message #68740 is a reply to message #68714] Tue, 26 July 2011 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dutchswan0311 is currently offline  dutchswan0311
Viscount
You have plans that you give on how to build the cabinets...you should do the same for the grills.

Very Happy
Re: Attention Everyone: Post Pictures of your 3pi speaker here [message #68741 is a reply to message #68740] Tue, 26 July 2011 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
You know, it just occurred to me; I am reinforcing my three 4pis and twelve 1pis with 4 horned subs. If I use two 3pis for live music on the stage, do I need to reinforce those with a sub or two as well? If so, would it be strange for the 4 horned subs to do the job if they are not on the stage? If would be like the main sound coming from in front of you, but the deep bass coming from your left. I have always wondered just how "omnidirectional" a sub really seems.
Re: Attention Everyone: Post Pictures of your 3pi speaker here [message #68748 is a reply to message #68741] Tue, 26 July 2011 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It never hurts to add subs, but I think four should suffice. Just put them in different places, not grouped together like you would if they were outdoors. Put them in four corners or four wall midpoints.

Re: Attention Everyone: Post Pictures of your 3pi speaker here [message #68755 is a reply to message #68748] Wed, 27 July 2011 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
My original plan was do do something like this:

http://www.jonvanwyk.com/subplacement02.jpg

But then I thought about doing the following (and this is my current thinking). I realize this may not be optimal subwoofer placement, but the subs are very large, and need to be concealed wherever they are located. The false wall will have the speakers and subs concealed behind it with the bottom of the screen approximately 6' up and a gas only fireplace underneath between the pairs of subs.

Thoughts?

http://www.jonvanwyk.com/ballroomtheater01.jpg

http://www.jonvanwyk.com/ballroomtheater02.jpg

Re: Attention Everyone: Post Pictures of your 3pi speaker here [message #68756 is a reply to message #68755] Wed, 27 July 2011 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

One has to work with what they have, and I certainly understand aesthetic placement limitations. What I would suggest is to put the hornsubs where they fit, being sensitive to your decor. They'll provide the oomph for the bottom end. Then place two to four smaller subs - just vented direct radiators - in other places around the room. Perhaps do two flanking subs, placed near the mains, and two more distant subs, maybe on the opposite side of the room from the hornsubs, near the spiral staircase. These smaller subs are much easier to fit into the decor, and they shouldn't need the SPL capacity. They'll just be there for smoothing. See the last few pages of the "High-Fidelity Uniform-Directivity" document for more information on this approach:
Re: Attention Everyone: Post Pictures of your 3pi speaker here [message #68775 is a reply to message #68756] Thu, 28 July 2011 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I've got a few pics of different Pi speakers on my photo site here:

http://shanemoorephotography.smugmug.com/Electronics/Pi-Speakers
Re: Attention Everyone: Post Pictures of your 3pi speaker here [message #68779 is a reply to message #68775] Fri, 29 July 2011 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Shane wrote on Thu, 28 July 2011 23:59
I've got a few pics of different Pi speakers on my photo site here:

http://shanemoorephotography.smugmug.com/Electronics/Pi-Speakers

Shane,

Why am I seeing pictures labeled 4pi that appear to be 3pi? Unless there is a version of the 4pi that uses a larger cabinet, a round port, and centers the horn over the midwoofer? I also saw a photo labeled "theater three pi" that seemed to have a much taller enclosure than what the plans call for.

I still think the 3pi picture Wayne provided show the best artistry with wood so far.
Re: Attention Everyone: Post Pictures of your 3pi speaker here [message #68780 is a reply to message #68779] Fri, 29 July 2011 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Some of the speakers on my page are modified builds that don't conform exactly to Wayne's plans.
Re: Attention Everyone: Post Pictures of your 3pi speaker here [message #68781 is a reply to message #68780] Fri, 29 July 2011 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I do see one model in Shane's photos that was a modified version of one of my designs. It has a CD horn with sharp edges (probably an Eminence H295) and the cabinet dimensions are nonstandard. However, most of the the speakers I see on Shane's page are stock builds. I think what is confusing is that they are obsolete models.

As an example, I see several Theater Series four π speakers. Those were much larger, approximately 8ft3. They have the more traditional layout, and look like an overgrown three π. One of those is Garland's, which I borrowed the look for my personal three π build.

A few years back, I reduced the numbers of speaker in the line, basically culling out all but those I thought were the best. In some cases, what used to be two different "series" (Studio, Theater, Professional, etc.) are now two different options for the same speaker. The Stage and Professional four π models, for example, are now the standard and upgraded versions of the current line.

Re: Attention Everyone: Post Pictures of your 3pi speaker here [message #68782 is a reply to message #68781] Fri, 29 July 2011 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Viscount
It seemed like you have been at this for a while, and it stood to reason that there would have been an evolution of your designs.
Previous Topic: AE Drivers
Next Topic: MDF
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 15:48:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout