Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » glue (glue)
glue [message #68533] Sun, 10 July 2011 21:47 Go to next message
Dpend is currently offline  Dpend
Baron
what is the best glue to use for glueing panels
Re: glue [message #68535 is a reply to message #68533] Mon, 11 July 2011 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I hope Bob Brines doesn't mind me pasting some of his wisdom here but he puts my experience well,

"I'm fond of Titebond Original for panel gluing because it gives ample open time for adjustments. Titebond II sets too fast for me, and it remains a bit rubbery, which makes sanding a somewhat of a chore. Titebond III works well and does give additional open time. However, Titebond original sets up harder making it easier to sand"

Gorilla Glue is garbage and construction adhesive like Liquid Nails and PL 200/400 remains rubbery forever, which is good for CLD and Fostex BLH baffles, but bad for box glue-up.
Re: glue [message #68536 is a reply to message #68533] Mon, 11 July 2011 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justphil is currently offline  justphil
Viscount
PL premium. It will expand and help fill any gaps.
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/12/34/pl_ca_prem/overview/Loctite-PL-Premium-Polyurethane-Construction-Adhesive.htm
It needs to be the premium as stated above the others are meant to remain rubbery so they flex with the materials they are bonded to.
Re: glue [message #68538 is a reply to message #68536] Mon, 11 July 2011 08:46 Go to previous message
steve f is currently offline  steve f
Master
I'll second original Titebond. Lots of time to adjust panels while clamping. Easy cleanup and sanding too. For test boxes, those that are to be sacrificed, but require quick assembly when trying out a design project, I use Titebond molding & trim glue. I have tried Gorilla and Elmers' probond, and found their expanding qualities make panel work very difficult. They work great for furniture repair though, like resetting dowels, etc.

Steve
Previous Topic: towers
Next Topic: Plan Request
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 05:21:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers