Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4Pi McDonalds sound check
4Pi McDonalds sound check [message #68086] Tue, 07 June 2011 22:25 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I have the TV Audio Out to the T-amp to the 4Pis, still on the wall and hidden by the new speaks. Last night, during the regular Sunday night "House-a-thon", I was treated to some fine low frequencies on the recurring McDonalds commercial.

Tonight, after an all-day "Major-League-a-thon", all 3 movies, (I'm having some minor health issues) I played my new Joni Mitchell Shadows and Light DVD. Everythings "high-end" with video, isn't it? Sound is great! Dialogue is Great! Jaco Pastorius rocks, which is good 'cause a lot of this effort by Joni leaves me baffled.

index.php?t=getfile&id=473&private=0
Re: 4Pi McDonalds sound check [message #68378 is a reply to message #68086] Wed, 29 June 2011 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne-o is currently offline  Wayne-o
Master
Looks like a homemade bowtie antenna in the back. Nice looking speakers. Great pictures like always.
Re: 4Pi McDonalds sound check [message #68381 is a reply to message #68086] Wed, 29 June 2011 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarlandB is currently offline  GarlandB
Chancellor
Hi Bill,

I was just going to comment on the antenna as well! ...looks just like something my Dad would have made back in the '40s.
Probably just the thing for the receiver in your TV cabiet.
So, how do your 4 pis compare to the new speaks in the foreground?
I ask because we have just moved into our new addition which has a new listening room (which unfortunately, I was unable to design to audiophile standards but at least is larger than the old den). The plus, besides size, is the availability of corners which may be good for a pair of 7Pis. I hate to consider gutting the 4s to make the 7s but "nothing ventured...".

A few other questions: what are you using for speaker wire these days? The royal wire you sent me was darn good! thanks! And are you still enthralled with the EL-34 SE amp you spoke of a month or two ago? I'd love to try a more powerful tube amp than my Bottlehead 2A3s since I love the powerful sound the 4s can produce given enough juice. What were those SE amps? KIts? or DIY?

Hope your feeling well soon; I know you've had a few bouts with health issues over the years. -hope its nothing serious.

Garland
Re: 4Pi McDonalds sound check [message #68388 is a reply to message #68381] Wed, 29 June 2011 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hi Garland, thanks for the good wishes, yesterday I had some zits burned off my arms and one had to be biopsied. Tomorrow I go to the cardiologist 'cause I had to be yanked off the treadmill last week for speeding: 240 over 190 after just 5 minutes! The diagnosis is probaly obesity.....

Anyway, the new speaks aren't as well-behaved as the Pis, they don't do dialogue as well and the bass isn't as crystal clear, but, but, they sound like the best vintage speakers you ever heard. KLH 6s maybe crossed with stacked Advents. I love the sound even knowing it isn't as "good".

My current "powerhouse" amp is the 6-8 watt SE EL-34 built from the board by George Anderson of Tubelab. With Hammond and Transendar iron it's only about $400. He's doing an EL-84 push-pull these days, also. Once I get past these doctors I'm going to build a classic 40-60 watt push-pull they're talking about at DIYaudio and Steve Brown is interested in. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/156699-mullard-5-20-kt88-pp-blocks.html

If you can find some Woods Yardmaster extension cord which no one seems to have anymore, you can try the White Lightning thats replaced everything else in my rig, ICs and speaker wire. Probably any 3 wire 16 gauge lightly twisted wire will do, Lowes has a green one. Is it the wire, the cheap connectors or a combination? Whatever, it blew away mid-level MIT I had in for review a few years ago.

Congrats on the new house and the bigger room. Everyone elseis downsizing Laughing
Re: 4Pi McDonalds sound check [message #68403 is a reply to message #68388] Thu, 30 June 2011 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
Bill, hope you're doing better soon!! Curious on the speakers, if you had to keep only one of those two pairs, which would it be?
Re: 4Pi McDonalds sound check [message #68404 is a reply to message #68403] Thu, 30 June 2011 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
SteveBrown wrote on Thu, 30 June 2011 18:03
Curious on the speakers, if you had to keep only one of those two pairs, which would it be?

Fortunately, I don't have to choose, but right now it would be the 4Pis that would stay. The new speaks look great, sound great, but the seductive bass isn't as good in the this 2.8 cu ft cabinet as in the ugly old 1.6s (keeping in mind both new and old are sealed).

Tomorrow at 7 I'll have on an indecent gown and some complete stranger shaving my nether regions preparatory to a heart catherization.

Just in case...who wants my film capacitor collection? Rolling Eyes
Re: 4Pi McDonalds sound check [message #68405 is a reply to message #68404] Thu, 30 June 2011 20:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You ain't going anywhere, Bill. Just let 'em retorque those gaskets and you'll be set. We're all at that age where we need tune-ups from time to time.

Re: 4Pi McDonalds sound check [message #68416 is a reply to message #68405] Fri, 01 July 2011 12:56 Go to previous message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
Hang in there, buddy!
Previous Topic: coming from klipsch.....plan request!
Next Topic: Start yer day with a shave and 5 Mgs of Valium!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 21:42:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio