Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Your favorite recordings. (plz be specific)
Your favorite recordings. (plz be specific) [message #68209] Fri, 17 June 2011 07:51 Go to next message
justphil is currently offline  justphil
Viscount
I know this isn't exactly speaker related but in a way it is. Razz

A friend of mine let me borrow a CD he had of "Pink Floyd's Dark side of the moon" It is a remix done in 5.1 DTS. I really liked it but then I got to the last track "Us and them" When the Saxaphone came in it seriously startled me. I was relaxing with my eyes closed and I swear there was someone right in front of me playing. Shocked

I only have 1 2pi studio built at the moment and its my center channel and that is where the sax is on the recording. I have never and I do mean never heard anything so beautifully realistic in my life come from a speaker. I now am breaking piggy banks and looking for cans and bottles on the street to come up with the money to buy my other Pi speaker kits.

Do you have any favorite recordings that just blow you away? If so can you be fairly specific so I can try to find them? I love all music save for country and western. I have been on a big Classical music kick lately but haven't found any recordings that have blown me away like this. I would love to hear all of this forums favorite recordings. Very Happy

Wayne, Thank you so much for offering such amazing speaker kits.
Re: Your favorite recordings. (plz be specific) [message #68210 is a reply to message #68209] Fri, 17 June 2011 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I really like "Dark Side of the Moon" too. If you like Pink Floyd, also check out "Wish You Were Here" and of course, "The Wall". You might also like "Animals".

Fleetwood Mac's self-titled album "Fleetwood Mac" is nice, good music that's well mastered. Their "Rumours" album is also very good.

I've recently been on a kick, trying to find good stuff on BluRay. I haven't really been looking for live performances, not even doing it for the video, although I know that's obviously what BlueRay is all about. The reason I have been looking for Blueray titles is the sound is so much better. I just noticed that movie soundtracks sounded night-and-day better than even the best CD recordings I have. I think a lot of it is the mix, in addition to the lossless format typically used. One that I found recently was "Chris Botti - Live in Boston". It's really excellent.

Re: Your favorite recordings. (plz be specific) [message #68211 is a reply to message #68210] Fri, 17 June 2011 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NWCgrad is currently offline  NWCgrad
Master
The new Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers album (Mojo) on blueray sounds incredible.

VIRIBUS MARI VICTORIA
Re: Your favorite recordings. (plz be specific) [message #68215 is a reply to message #68209] Fri, 17 June 2011 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dave_S is currently offline  Dave_S
Chancellor
My current favorite is somewhat speaker related. While I was testing my 4 Pi speakers out before veneering them, I found the CD that made the speakers stand out is The Tain by The Decemberists. It is an EP with basically one song. It starts out with a solo acoustic guitar and you can hear every pluck, squeak of fingers moving across the strings, and purposeful distortion of the sound. The song moves on to several different styles of music, including music that would a smile on a metal head's face.

The Grateful Dead - Workingman's Dead sounds good on the speakers. The separate instruments stand out rather than the more mushed together sound that I had on my old speakers.

Another CD that sounds good is Live Current Vol. 6. It is a yearly CD put out by a local radio station here in Minnesota. I found that I love the sound of live music on the Pi speakers. So much more of the detail from live music comes from the speakers than my old ones. It isn't a CD that you could find, but you could try CDs put out by your local radio station.

I wouldn't say they blow me away, but I have been listening to Eels - End Times (a near-perfect CD), Eels - Electro-Shock Blues (has a lot of average songs, but the good songs are really good), Billy Bragg and Wilco - Mermaid Avenue, and The Rural Alberta Advantage - Departing. I would really like to hear the last track of Departing on my speakers when I get them finshed.
Re: Your favorite recordings. (plz be specific) [message #68226 is a reply to message #68209] Fri, 17 June 2011 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Listening to "The Tain" now. These guys are out there. I love it. Razz

Dave, I have listened to allot of what you posted and you have a great taste in music. I really like this stuff. But I will have to admit I don't really care for Billy Bragg I think he is more of an aquired taste.

I can see why ou would want to listen to "Good Night " on your speakers. I have a decent set of headphones and the song is awesome. I bet when you get to listen it will be like they are there performing it.

Wayne, I have and love all of the Pink Floyd CD's I have the mentioned Fleetwood mac cd's also and will def look into the Chris Botti live.

NWC Grad I love Tom Petty and will have to def check that out. Thank you all very much for your input. I love to listen to what others like. Most of the time you get turned on to some good stuff.
Re: Your favorite recordings. (plz be specific) [message #68229 is a reply to message #68226] Sat, 18 June 2011 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
justphil wrote on Fri, 17 June 2011 23:03
Listening to "The Tain" now. These guys are out there. I love it =P

Dave, I have listened to allot of what you posted and you have a great taste in music. I really like this stuff. But I will have to admit I don't really care for Billy Bragg I think he is more of an aquired taste.

I can see why ou would want to listen to "Good Night " on your speakers. I have a decent set of headphones and the song is awesome. I bet when you get to listen it will be like they are there performing it.

For the Decemberists, the Tain is definitely out there. The next in line from the group comes the "The Hazards of Love". The Rake's Song is extremely demented, but great. The album "The King is Dead" is the most approachable. Peter Buck from REM plays on some of the tracks and it shows. "The Crane Wife" if the most beautiful and what introduced me to the band. There are a few songs in the middle that don't quite cut it after a few listens.

Billy Bragg is probably an acquired taste. He has an album self-mockingly titled "Mr Love and Justice". His songs alternate between one of the two subjects.

Another album that sounds good is Dan Wilson's "Free Life". The songs Free Life and Easy Silence (which was recorded by the Dixie Chicks) are ones which I could listen to over and over again. He did a lot of the songs live with a group and modified them in a studio. For his next album, he is doing the instruments and tracks himself. I am hoping that he can maintain the same sound quality.
Re: Your favorite recordings. (plz be specific) [message #68233 is a reply to message #68229] Sat, 18 June 2011 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Thanks Dave will give those a listen also.
I know the quality isn't lossless but I sure love my "Zune Pass". In case you don't know what that is its like "iTunes" but you can download an unlimited amount of music and listen to it. It can't be burned to CD's and has to be listend to on the Zune MP3 player or your PC. You get to however keep 10 songs you choose a month on a use it or lose it basis. These songs you have full rights to and can burn to CD's if you want. The "Zune Marketplace" has a decent amount of music and so far I have been able to find everything you posted.
Re: Your favorite recordings. (plz be specific) [message #68234 is a reply to message #68233] Sat, 18 June 2011 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Dan Wilson I like also. He sounds like someone that I can't quite put my finger on.
Re: Your favorite recordings. (plz be specific) [message #68252 is a reply to message #68233] Sun, 19 June 2011 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
I hadn't heard of Zune Pass before. My first thought was that I could not get music to my stereo due to digital rights management issues. However, I could still listen to music on my computer and listen to different music at work.

I tried, but I could not stump Zune Pass with music I wanted to explore. I figured that there was no way that they would have Woody Guthrie, but they did. The 14 day free trial will be a good way to explore the service.

Due to DRM issues, I never even buy iTunes music. I buy the CD and burn a lossless version to stream to my stereo and lossy version for my iPod. I would still stick to that method, but could still find the music on Zune Pass.

You may have heard Dan Wilson before with the song "Closing Time" that he did with Semisonic. Prior to that he was in Trip Shakespeare. None of those songs became a radio hit, except local stations will play "Snow Days" during a heavy snow fall.
Re: Your favorite recordings. (plz be specific) [message #68253 is a reply to message #68252] Sun, 19 June 2011 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Viscount
Well I use a Zune player and a dock that is hooked directly to my stereo so there is no issue with DRM. No doubt the Lossy format is the best sound quality way to go though.
Previous Topic: Sealed 4Pi ???
Next Topic: 1 Pi and 4 Pi Speaker Plan request
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 22:34:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout