Home » Audio » General » Recording Interviews
Recording Interviews [message #67996] Thu, 02 June 2011 10:24 Go to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'm watching the Casey Anthony trial and just listened to a lengthy recording of a police interview. I started wondering what they used for audio recording; I imagine by now it's all digital instead of using a tape recorder.

Having not been interviewed, I wouldn't know. Laughing
Re: Recording Interviews [message #68014 is a reply to message #67996] Fri, 03 June 2011 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Drury is currently offline  Drury
Baron
That's a very good question. It seems funny to watch old TV shows and see those tape recorders, but digital recordings may be risky because they could be lost somehow. Maybe they record it and then transfer to a computer file?
Re: Recording Interviews [message #68841 is a reply to message #67996] Thu, 04 August 2011 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ebirah01 is currently offline  Ebirah01
Chancellor

Hi folks!

I'm not sure what recording devices you saw being used (or heard, for that matter), but I have used several different types if portable recording methods when conducting interviews for academic research. I interviewed two different Tibetan umdze's (religious chant leaders) and for one I employed a mini disc recorder (it was all I had at the time) and the other was video taped on 8mm digital tape.

I have also interviewed several Tlingit natives when I was living in Alaska researching their frame drum construction. For that I used a mini disc player that was provided by the Sealaska Heritage Foundation and my own portable DAT machine. In Lhasa, Tibet a few years later, I worked with several sGra sNyan (lute) builders and mostly I just took notes on paper, but for the one or two recorded interviews I conducted, I used a Nagra cassette player. I have used one of these before, too, when talking with a historian about the works of Luigi Russolo and Italian Futurism in the late 90s. (Interestingly, for my current Ph.D. project, I haven't recorded any interviews! It's all been written correspondence and notes typed up during or after the fact...)

I would say that many portable devices readily available today are digital formats, but that analogue machines of higher quality have not disappeared by any means.
Re: Recording Interviews [message #68999 is a reply to message #67996] Sat, 13 August 2011 14:11 Go to previous message
LizardBat is currently offline  LizardBat
Baron
Th Nagra cassette machine is the preferred machine for recording interviews according to the Library of Congress and the Smithsonian. I won a grant from the Library of Congress and they issued a Nagra recorder to me for the project.
Previous Topic: Playlists
Next Topic: Crackling Earbuds
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 23:47:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout