Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Binding posts?
Binding posts? [message #67470] Fri, 06 May 2011 08:07 Go to next message
justphil is currently offline  justphil
Viscount
I am going to be ordering my 2pi kit tonight or this weekend. I was wondering do the kits come with some kind of a binding posts? I was going to order some from parts express if not. I just want to make sure I have everything I need =)
Thanks in advance.
Phil
Re: Binding posts? [message #67472 is a reply to message #67470] Fri, 06 May 2011 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Kits come with binding posts.

Re: Binding posts? [message #67475 is a reply to message #67472] Fri, 06 May 2011 18:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Excellent. Thanks Wayne.
Re: Binding posts? [message #67502 is a reply to message #67475] Sun, 08 May 2011 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
One of the reasons my 4Pis sound better than your 4Pis Very Happy

http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?SKU=8856052&MPN=3770-2&R=8856052&SEARCH=8856052&DESC=3770-2

Gold-plated tellurium copper, no nasty tin or brass in the post although the thumb nut and washer are tin and brass. One of the few tweaky things, along with vibration control I believe in 'cause I can hear the difference.

Edison Price Music Posts are unobtanium and Cardas cost twice as much.

Now this guy in Hong Kong http://stores.ebay.com/Vintage-Audio-Lab has high quality speaker terminals and RCAs but the former are only long enough for amps. He also has a killer, really killer stepped attenuator for $25 which replaced my noisy Goldpoint and then mistracking PEC Pot in my passive. SMDs shouldn't sound that good and they don't. You don't hear'm! The volume goes up and down and you don't know why! It's amazing!

index.php?t=getfile&id=382&private=0

You know, I spend time on the Forums reading about how good or bad this or that is, then I play, as I did today a Chesky re-issue of a Layton/Mohr RCA recording of Scheherazade and just feel like "it" couldn't get any better. HW-19, AT-1005, Soundsmith re-tipped Aurum Beta S, Caravaggio phono, George Andersons SE Pentode circuit and finally, 4 Pis, all connected with "White Lightning" cords.
Re: Binding posts? [message #67517 is a reply to message #67470] Mon, 09 May 2011 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
I installed some big solid copper posts Percy Audio used to sell- before copper became a precious metal! Between them and the 12-ga inductors for the woofers, the speakers are getting valuable... haha Well, at least for my continued enjoyment!
Re: Binding posts? [message #67674 is a reply to message #67517] Mon, 16 May 2011 20:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I got my kit today and have a question. Are you supposed to hot glue the crossover parts to the cabinet?
Re: Binding posts? [message #67693 is a reply to message #67674] Mon, 16 May 2011 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I like to mount mine with screws. Make a gasket and put it underneath:

http://www.pispeakers.com/misc/pcb_gasket_outline.jpg

Re: Binding posts? [message #67699 is a reply to message #67693] Tue, 17 May 2011 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
OK I see how that answers my question but I am still lost lol. The 2pi crossover is simply a big black cap and a rolled up copper thing (I know technical terms =P) that are just hanging attached to the pertinent speaker wire. Am I supposed to glue these to a board and then do as you said? Also by the length of the speaker wire I am assuming you mount the binding posts in the center of the speaker box not at the bottom. Correct?
Re: Binding posts? [message #67700 is a reply to message #67699] Tue, 17 May 2011 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

On the smaller speakers, I usually leave the wires hanging. The coil and cap will rest on the insulation on the bottom, so they won't buzz. On the towers, I wire tie them to the braces.

Re: Binding posts? [message #67701 is a reply to message #67700] Tue, 17 May 2011 15:51 Go to previous message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Wayne Parham wrote on Tue, 17 May 2011 08:51

On the smaller speakers, I usually leave the wires hanging. The coil and cap will rest on the insulation on the bottom, so they won't buzz. On the towers, I wire tie them to the braces.

Or, in the 1960's style, solder the caps and coils to the terminals (on the inside of the box Surprised) I repaired some KLHs for a friend not long ago and, although it was done for reasons of economy, it held the components darned well.

I just drilled the terminal cup holes for some 35" tall speakers today and decided 12" above the floor was perfect. High enough to be reachable by an old fat-man bending and low enough not to influence the speaker to lean from wire tension/weight.
Previous Topic: Requesting 2 PI plans
Next Topic: 3 & 4 pi inductors
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:12:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout