Home » Audio » General » Car Stereo getting hot?
Car Stereo getting hot? [message #67451] Thu, 05 May 2011 17:35 Go to next message
MusicJunkie is currently offline  MusicJunkie
Chancellor
My truck has the factory stereo in it but it is constantly running hot. I have burned my fingers going to turn the station. Does anyone have any idea what might cause this?
Re: Car Stereo getting hot? [message #67456 is a reply to message #67451] Thu, 05 May 2011 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
It is possible that the dashboard does not have enough room to cool the unit.

You should take it to a mechanic (not a "car audio" shop) that specializes in electrical immediately to make sure it isn't a fire hazard.

It really sounds like a short, which generally emits infinite voltage (I think) and unpredictable AC current.

Go unplug the thing NOW.

Re: Car Stereo getting hot? [message #67458 is a reply to message #67456] Thu, 05 May 2011 20:41 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You might also swing by the dealership and compare it with another truck just like yours. I've noticed a lot of factory (and aftermarket units, for that matter) that just run hot. Some are disturbingly hot, if you asked me.

Then there's also the matter of sunlight heating. On a hot summer day, if you don't use a sun visor, sometimes the steering wheel will burn you when you get into a car that was parked in the sun.

Previous Topic: Favorite Old Technology
Next Topic: "In the Wall" speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 08:55:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout