Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Moody Blues
Moody Blues [message #67401] Tue, 03 May 2011 18:51 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm off to see the Moody Blues in concert! Just now heading out the door...

Re: Moody Blues [message #67408 is a reply to message #67401] Tue, 03 May 2011 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of ten billion butterfly sneezes

The Moodies were really great. It's amazing - these guys are in their late 60s, even one of them (Graeme Edge) is 70. Full of energy though, just like a 35 year old. Just incredible.

I was sad to see only three members of the five people most associated as the Moody Blues. There were other band members very early on, and now there are new members. But of the five most people would consider "Moodies" - Justin Hayward, John Lodge, Graeme Edge, Ray Thomas and Michael Pinder, only Hayward, Lodge and Edge remain. I missed seeing Ray Thomas playing flute. But he was replaced by a really cute and talented girl - Norda Mullen - and she was wonderful. Not hard to look at either. She doesn't just tour with the Moodies, she's done studio work with them too.

What strikes me so very deeply, what I thought about as I sat through the show, was how I literally grew up listening to these guys. They were on the radio when I was very young. The Moodies had a couple dozen hits in the late 60s but by the time I was a teenager in the 1970s, they were sort of dormant. My memories of them made me seek out their albums though - Their music was like lullabys, almost like listening to Greensleves. I bought up everything they did, and listened to them over and over and over again.

Take another sip my love and see what you will see,
A fleet of golden galleons, on a crystal sea.
Are you sitting comfortably?
Let Merlin cast his spell.

Ride along the winds of time and see where we have been,
The glorious age of Camelot of when Guinevere was Queen.
It all unfolds before your eyes
As Merlin casts his spell.

The seven wonders of the world he'll lay before your feet,
In far-off lands, on distant shores, so many friends to meet.
Are you sitting comfortably?
Let Merlin cast his spell.

Even as a teenager listening to the Moodies a decade after they cut their albums, I realized that they sort of marked a historic period. They were a band that had superstar status during one of the most intersting decades - the 1960s. They were all the rage when man first stepped on the moon. Computers were huge machines that filled whole floors. Gasoline was 25ยข a gallon and we had muscle cars with monster motors that had huge appetites.

I couldn't help but be struck with nostalgia as I remembered that not only did I grow up with the Moody Blues, but so did everyone in that theater, truly, everyone on the planet. In a way, their music has been witness to the world.

Breathe deep the gathering gloom
Watch lights fade from every room
Bedsitter people look back and lament
Another day's useless energy spent

Impassioned lovers wrestle as one
Lonely man cries for love and has none
New mother picks up and suckles her son
Senior citizens wish they were young

Cold hearted orb that rules the night
Removes the colors from our sight
Red is grey and yellow white
But we decide which is right
And which is an illusion?

Re: Moody Blues [message #67454 is a reply to message #67401] Thu, 05 May 2011 17:45 Go to previous message
BigBoom is currently offline  BigBoom
Chancellor
I am so jealous! The Moody Blues Days of Future Passed was the first record I ever saw. I still remember the day my dad brought it home from the record store.
Previous Topic: Law Abiding Citizen
Next Topic: Summer Blockbusters
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 11:06:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout