Home » Audio » Source » Pro-Ject Debut III Noise with Speed Box
Pro-Ject Debut III Noise with Speed Box [message #67395] Tue, 03 May 2011 17:21 Go to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi All, I recently went round and round with Pro-ject. my overall system is quite quiet and anything that is not clean is easy to spot. I got a P-J III TT about 6 months ago as my vinatage Dual 701 needed some repairs and I didn't have the time to mess with getting the parts and such. So the PJ seemed a reasonable interim. It worked fine and eventually I replaced the OM5E with a Dynavector 10X5. All good so far. Then the bright idea of using the speed box occurred to me. Good thinking, but set up like they said, I heard what seemed to be bearing noise in the background and during the lead in and lead out on the LPs. There ensued a back and forth to Pro ject on the problem. They were polite and professional and while it took about 5 tries to convince them I was serious and not hearing things they sent a new motor. Works fine. Smile The question (also on other forums) is was it bad to start or just went bad with under 200 hours on it? Hummm. So anyone out there with either Pro-jects or Music Halls with TT noise might want to check the motor. I could wiggle the shaft in mine by hand. Not good. Rolling Eyes

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Pro-Ject Debut III Noise with Speed Box [message #67400 is a reply to message #67395] Tue, 03 May 2011 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

My guess is the motor was bad from the get-go. Shouldn't have any problems with just 200 hours on it. Turntables don't put any unusual loads on the motor, not much load of any sort.

Re: Pro-Ject Debut III Noise with Speed Box [message #67402 is a reply to message #67400] Tue, 03 May 2011 20:10 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Wayne, I agree. I strongly suspect for other reasons the TT was not new as advertized. Confused A demo, refurb or such. It works well now, but makes me wonder about the honesty of the source.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: CD Players
Next Topic: Turntables
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 17:39:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers