Home » Audio » Radio » How would you improve....
How would you improve.... [message #67369] Mon, 02 May 2011 17:09 Go to next message
iDummy is currently offline  iDummy
Baron
I keep hoping for better radio, but it seems to never get here. I wish as a society we didn't like shows that put people down or made fun of serious stuff. How would you improve the radio waves?
Re: How would you improve.... [message #67377 is a reply to message #67369] Tue, 03 May 2011 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Clueless is currently offline  Clueless
Viscount
I don't think this is really possible, but if I was to make my dreams a reality. There were be more all music stations with almost no commercial interruptions or talk radio. Talk radio would have their own spot. I would also allow for new artists to show their music, and not just what the big studios want us to hear.
Re: How would you improve.... [message #67695 is a reply to message #67369] Mon, 16 May 2011 23:35 Go to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Radio has been very good to me. I listened to adult contemporary pop music from 1988-1995 as a child, not the last and greatest hits format, but the one that specifically dealt with MOR Pop and 80's hits. Once I hit 10 years old, the format was pretty much dead and was starting it's shift into a "classic soft rock" format with whatever ballads were on the charts thrown in. I liked it because I have always liked overproduced, professionally written songs. It's too bad they quit using overdriven guitars, synthesizers and "kitchen sink" production for pop music.

Anyway, If I were to improve radio I would simply organize the stations properly and make them ultra specific. One metal channel is a complete joke that shows no attempt to cater to it's fans or really any understanding of it at all.

I would make mini-stations, like one that played absolutely nothing but soft rock from the late 70's to mid-80's. You'd know the type if you heard it. But you play later Chicago, Michael McDonald and Christopher Cross on the same station. If you listened to A LOT of radio at one time or another, you may remember that certain songs were on the playlist for a week and were reasonably only heard 2-3 times in that period. THESE are the songs they need to put back in the rotation. I have a fantastic musical memory that carried around 20-30 songs I heard once or twice that I absolutely loved on the radio that no one would have remembered. That is what people want when they turn on the radio. They want to relive moments like that that may be specifically suited to a singular sound and period.

You just do that with every little niche sub-genre of the many types of pop music and make it where you can easily incorporate what you want to hear into a customized station. If you like AOR, but hate Yatch rock, you aren't likely to listen to a station littered with both.

When it comes to American Rock audiences of the past, there was a thin line of what was acceptable geographically. Hard Rock stations catered to those who did not like conventional pop music. For example, in certain markets a hard rock station means 70's ball busting rock with classics from the 80's included that were not too far off from that attitude and sound. In other places the beatles, the grateful dead, billy joel and elton john are considered classic rock, something that you would never hear in another place. I lived in VA which took the softer attitude and in Florida which took the heavier one. In Florida Rock fans were definitely not interested in anything that would have ever been played on the pop or the "fred FM" station.

None of their problems are insurmountable, they just need to realize that radio depending on the station and time was usually providing something unique to it's era. I turned my radio off when pop music become more about novelty than songwriting. They still couldn't program a station that covers the type of pop I like. Until they can work that out, no will will really care because I am sure no one actually wants the top hits from a specific decade or broad blanketed genre.

Previous Topic: Beginning of Radio
Next Topic: Does your area have many Spanish stations?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:29:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio