Home » Audio » General » Westminster Abbey Organ
Westminster Abbey Organ [message #67287] Fri, 29 April 2011 06:04 Go to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'm watching the royal wedding on tv right now. The organ in Westminster Abbey is stunning! It is a work of art even before any notes are played.
http://gb.fotolibra.com/images/previews/104776-westminster-abbey-organ-pipes.jpeg

Re: Westminster Abbey Organ [message #67343 is a reply to message #67287] Sun, 01 May 2011 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wow that is the most beautiful organ I've ever seen. I suppose it'd have to be ornate if it's in Westminster Abbey though. It'd look out of place otherwise.
Re: Westminster Abbey Organ [message #67359 is a reply to message #67287] Mon, 02 May 2011 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
One of my best memories of listening to classical music is from a few years ago when I was in London and attended an organ recital at the Abbey. We were seated in the choir stalls, with the great double organ facade in front of and behind us. The setting sun was shining through the stained glass West window, and as Big Ben struck the hour the organist began playing Louis Vierne's "Westminster Carrilon", starting with the softest stops and building to a full organ climax.

This isn't the performance we attended, but it's the same music on the same organ. I understand the organist did not use the full reed chorus in this recording because some stops are so loud that they can't be reproduced effectively on a home stereo without using a lot of compression. Also, unless you're listening to a system with a subwoofer capable of reproducing 16hz at 120+dB you will not get the same tactile effect as somebody sitting there. It's like having a bass shaker under your butt. Shocked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hylinwkzkg

Re: Westminster Abbey Organ [message #67368 is a reply to message #67287] Mon, 02 May 2011 17:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Clueless is currently offline  Clueless
Viscount
This truly is a work of art. I am so glad that it is in a place people respect and appreciates. I wonder where would we be as a society if all the beauty of art in all its forms was eradicated.
Re: Westminster Abbey Organ [message #67720 is a reply to message #67368] Wed, 18 May 2011 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Drury is currently offline  Drury
Baron
I watched the wedding too. I liked their choice of music throughout, and the sound carried very well. There's something extra special about organ music isn't there? I have good memories of going to a gothic church in Europe and the organist was playing some classical tunes which were very fitting to the surroundings. Magical!
Re: Westminster Abbey Organ [message #68916 is a reply to message #67287] Mon, 08 August 2011 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goatmaster is currently offline  Goatmaster
Chancellor
London (and I'm sure all of the UK) is full of lovely giant pipe organs. Sadly, many are in disrepair, but several are not. There is a local organ music society that hosts concerts throughout the Thames Valley and I have gotten to noodle around on mid sized ones, like the one at the St. Mary's Old Church in Stoke Newington. Gotta love those bass pedals!
Re: Westminster Abbey Organ [message #68930 is a reply to message #67287] Tue, 09 August 2011 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hannah is currently offline  Hannah
Chancellor
I concur that it is a work of art. I wish I could visit that abbey someday and listen to that organ being played. It would be a great honor if I could play that instrument.
Re: Westminster Abbey Organ [message #69138 is a reply to message #67287] Tue, 23 August 2011 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LizardBat is currently offline  LizardBat
Baron
There's a lovely organ at St. Leonard's Church in Shoreditch (right next to the town hall, near Old Street station) that's also lovely. Well worth a stop in, especially if they are having a concert. They have a lot of fun concerts there, usually for cheap or free, so it's a good one to check out.
Re: Westminster Abbey Organ [message #70302 is a reply to message #69138] Sat, 26 November 2011 11:07 Go to previous message
Danny is currently offline  Danny
Master
So, where is Shoreditch? I'm sorry, but I've never heard of it. I love concerts, and if I find myself near there, I would love to stop in and check one out.
Previous Topic: Favorite Audio Gadget Sites
Next Topic: Loud Headphones
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 15:36:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout