Home » Audio » Speaker » Good wire article
Good wire article [message #67301] Fri, 29 April 2011 23:26 Go to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I came across this today while installing 6-feet of 24g speaker /8ohm wire today, replacing 3-foot of 16g wire/8ohm. Despite those numbers, there is not enough resistance in the new wire to make a difference.

It has a ton of information and a possible scam being run by Monster Cable.

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

Re: Good wire article [message #67351 is a reply to message #67301] Sun, 01 May 2011 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Excellent write ups. Not everyone will believe it and many will blow it off. The information regarding cable lengths vs gauge is good. It would seem to me that using any decent brand of wire (not the big $$ stuff) would be fine. I recall an article on the web a few years back, by some smart folk. They found that getting one of the 40 foot three wire white garden extension cords from Walmart and making 4 10 foot speaker cables from it was as good as the best they had in their system (costly wires) at the time. Very Happy It blended well with much modern decor as well.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Good wire article [message #67354 is a reply to message #67301] Sun, 01 May 2011 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
IDK why anyone would write off the EM reality of the situation. Like I wrote, my 6 feet of 99c store cable at 24awg is just as good as my 3 feet of Radioshack 16awg wire, both at 8ohms. It was twice the length and maybe 1/12th of the cost.

I am confident enough in that to use it in any situation where there is only 6 feet of cable length.

The only time you would really need to worry about speaker wire at line level is if you have really long runs or really low impedance.

20awg gets the job done for basically any home stereo wiring, IMO. That way you can use a 4ohm load and have tons of slack.

Actually, 16awg wire is more likely to break plastic "grabbing" terminals or have a mediocre contact with them, making it a liability. I have an old amp with the screw type terminals and it is extremely hard to get a good solid contact or to tighten them down adequately.

Re: Good wire article [message #67565 is a reply to message #67301] Wed, 11 May 2011 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I don't buy into the whole speaker wire scams. As long as it's made from copper and is thick enough for my needs it's fine. Monster cable does run a scam on there speaker wire, someone took some high$$ Monster speaker cable and compared it to some HDOJ cable of the same gauge. And the HDOJ cable out perforemed the Monster cable. it had a little less cable resistance and quite a bit lower capacatince.

By the way HDOJ stands for Home Depot Orange Jacketed, like there orange extension cords. But then again your not going here anything above 20khz. It's not like we can hear 100khz.

So who cares!!
Re: Good wire article [message #67581 is a reply to message #67565] Thu, 12 May 2011 07:58 Go to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Bill Wassilak wrote on Wed, 11 May 2011 17:07
It's not like we can hear 100khz.

So who cares!!

This is not true my friend. Any frequency is in the audio spectrum, even if it is far above our hearing limitations moves air. If it moves air, it has an effect on all the other frequencies, which will be audible. If your hearing is trained adequately, you will notice that notes have a much clearer point of resolving the sounds when all the natural harmonics are retained. The more harmonic information is missing, the more "rounded" off a sound becomes and the more unstable and ambiguous the pitch becomes. Those frequencies above 20Khz fill physical space that is required to recreate the range we can hear accurately.

Previous Topic: Have a pair of Full range drivers - what to(should) do with it?
Next Topic: Best Brand
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:47:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout