Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Live or Recorded?
Live or Recorded? [message #66424] Tue, 01 March 2011 17:08 Go to next message
Equinom is currently offline  Equinom
Viscount
While listening to my iPod I thought of this question. Which do you prefer to listen to? Would you rather listen to the music live or listen to it recorded?
Re: Live or Recorded? [message #66442 is a reply to message #66424] Wed, 02 March 2011 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scoot is currently offline  Scoot
Baron
Funny as it may seem, I actually prefer recorded music. Maybe it's because I'm a private person and prefer to listen in my car or in my home, rather than surrounded by a zillion people, all screaming and sweating and stepping over me. All of that distracts from my enjoyment of the music.
Re: Live or Recorded? [message #66464 is a reply to message #66424] Thu, 03 March 2011 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Live music is very problematic for me. I can't control the volume, speaker placement, EQ or anything else.

I don't even like live albums either for the most part.

Studio recordings have much more fidelity and a really really good band will end up sounding almost identical to the album anyway.

Re: Live or Recorded? [message #66552 is a reply to message #66424] Mon, 07 March 2011 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Interestingly enough, Rush's last live album "Snakes and Arrows Live" actually hits the upper limits of CD technology. Considering that in the past that every other live album has been straight from the sound board and the last four have been digital, I wonder why this one is especially accurate and why I haven't seen any other live album, modern or classic, that is hitting 20Khz.

The only conclusion I have is that they used an amazing engineer to record the show and delicately placed the mics, gates, compressors and pre-amped everything just right. I'm really impressed by this one considering live albums are known to have significant fidelity problems unless exciters and other tricks are used. Naturally, I'm talking about loud rock music that is being recorded at 110-120db from every direction.

This makes me really hopeful when they start actually recording on that 20-96Khz region that they have had available for many years now. With 24-bit depth rate the slight movement of air the decay of a cymbal would produce is no longer going to get lost in the dither and noise floor.

I think "realistic" sound is only a few years away. We just need engineers willing to experiment and get it right and actually find a way to release high-quality audio.

Surprised

Re: Live or Recorded? [message #66789 is a reply to message #66552] Mon, 28 March 2011 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
iDummy is currently offline  iDummy
Baron
I rather listen to the recorded music. I agree with Scoot and Adveser. I can't control the noise level around me and all the other inconveniences. Besides, have you tried going to a concert lately. They are getting more expensive by the minute. I rather stay home and "chilax".
Re: Live or Recorded? [message #66875 is a reply to message #66424] Sun, 03 April 2011 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GoodVibrations is currently offline  GoodVibrations
Viscount
When I am at a concert, even though the atmosphere is engaging, I have noticed that artists tend to change their song with emphasis, tunes, or even words. Since I will first hear a song that is recorded, and I like what I hear, I prefer the original recording.

Music is a tonic for the tired and weary mind
Re: Live or Recorded? [message #66879 is a reply to message #66424] Sun, 03 April 2011 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kaleb is currently offline  Kaleb
Chancellor
If I'm listening to music on my iPod, I don't like it to be live recorded, it just sounds bad. If I want live, I will go to the concert myself; I don't want to hear everyone else enjoying it!
Re: Live or Recorded? [message #66897 is a reply to message #66424] Mon, 04 April 2011 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Nevermind the above non-sense I wrote.

MP3's are not good. Since live records are not known for their fast treble this stuff gets silenced when you make an MP3 even if it is 320KBPS, no filtering and perfectly encoded.

FM Radio > MP3

Re: Live or Recorded? [message #66906 is a reply to message #66424] Tue, 05 April 2011 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
miss zoey
Baron
I enjoy country/easy listening music so I prefer them to be live (or live recorded) because the emotion is really there, versus the overproduced music that comes out in records sometimes.
Re: Live or Recorded? [message #67262 is a reply to message #66424] Wed, 27 April 2011 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
BluesBrother77 is currently offline  BluesBrother77
Chancellor
I think there is so much more feeling in live performances. I love going to concerts and hearing my favorite artists. That said I listen to recorded music too, but a lot of it is live albums from various artists.
Previous Topic: True Grit
Next Topic: Jack White
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 17:08:42 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout