Home » Audio » Movies & Music » The Best Science Fiction Show
The Best Science Fiction Show [message #6710] Sun, 16 April 2006 06:48 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I vote for the four part TV adaptation of Ray Bradbury's "Martian Chronicles". After that; "The Prisoner" with Patrick McGhoohan.

Re: The Best Science Fiction Show [message #6711 is a reply to message #6710] Sun, 16 April 2006 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
My vote goes to Science Fiction Theatre with it's host Truman Bradly. It goes back a few years before The Twilight Zone which was also excellent.

I got hooked on Sci-Fi in the 4th grade and still enjoy all the classics from the 40-50's. I wish I had a dollar for every Ace double novel I read in back then

Some of my favorite authors are A.E. Van Vogt, Issac Asimov, Robert Heinlein, Andre Norton, Fredric Brown, Pohl Anderson, Fredrick Pohl & his wife C. M. Kornbluth, Robert Sheckley, Alfred Bester and many more that CRS wont let me recall

Re: The Best Science Fiction Show [message #6712 is a reply to message #6711] Sun, 16 April 2006 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leland Crooks is currently offline  Leland Crooks
Master
I've never seen Science Fiction Theatre. Too young. (Hard to believe). Babylon 5 was the best written sci fi I'd seen on TV until the current Battlestar Galactica. It's a great show.

Most fun, Dr. Who.

Addendum : The Best Science Fiction Show [message #6713 is a reply to message #6712] Sun, 16 April 2006 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Favorite author? Impossible. I've read too much, from the all the classics to some of the new horrible crap. Lots of retreads out there now. Not a lot that's really a new idea.

Re: The Best Science Fiction Show [message #6714 is a reply to message #6710] Sun, 16 April 2006 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
SF is about all I do these days: been catching up on series I missed
after turning off the tv years ago.

I much prefer seeing this stuff on dvd-- no commercials.

What I'd like to see in this thread is some fresh meat:
things I haven't encountered.

All that said, I have never waivered from saying that
Forbidden Planet is the best science film ever made.
I probably had a crush on Ann Fancis when she played Honey
West too.

Forbidden Planet is in the 'seen more than once or twice'
category. Also in that category is Dark City.

I have a particular fascination with the Steam Punk
subgenre of SF: Victorian settings with fantastic machinery
ala' Jules Vern and Mary Shelly. There's a variety of film
included in this category. I like the remake of the
Time Machine better than the George Pal one. The Leaugue
of Extraordinary Gentlemen was ruined by the cartoonish
ending.

As to The Prisoner-- it's simply in a class by itself.

Re: Addendum : The Best Science Fiction Show [message #6715 is a reply to message #6713] Sun, 16 April 2006 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
If you like SF with humor then check out Fredric Brown (Nightmares & Geezenstacks) he wrote some pretty funny yet telling stories. Robert Sheckley is another. Read his Citizen in Space.

Alfred Bester's The Stars my Destination is the best SF book written in my opinion. His Demolished Man isn't bad either. Next would be the Weapon Shop series by A.E. Van Vogt (Weapon Shops of Isher and Weapon Makers of Ishar) Also his Slan is a classic. These are are old books. Some written in the 30's, 40's & some in the 50's.

I watched Babylon 5 because of the funny characters in it. The best movies I've seen were The Day the Earth Stood Still, Forbidden Planet and Invaders from Mars. Both Invaders & Invasion of the body Snatchers (original version) scared the tar out of me as I was around 10 or so when they came out.

I don't read much of the new stuff since it's pretty poor IMHO.

Re: Addendum : Science Fiction Theatre [message #6716 is a reply to message #6713] Sun, 16 April 2006 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
The show always started with a demonstration of some new development in science that was usually related in some way to the story line. The show would be boring to today's audience.

Rod Serling's Twilight Zone was usually heavy on irony and always had a message for those who saw it.

Re: Addendum : The Best Science Fiction Show [message #6717 is a reply to message #6715] Sun, 16 April 2006 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I've read all of Van Vogt. Slan sticks out in my mind,the Weapons books less so. Hangning my head I have not read The Stars My Destination, but I have read about everything else Bester wrote. Harlan Ellison's stuff always gave me chills.

In new stuff try out David Brin's Uplift Wars, the first 2 or 3 books, Greg Baer's Darwin's Radio, and Orson Scott Card's Ender Wiggins Books. Enders Game is brilliant, as is Speaker for the Dead.

The Day the Earth Stood Still is the best. The best science fiction is where the science is merely a vehicle to hang a good story on. That movie embodies that.

Re: The Best Science Fiction Show [message #6718 is a reply to message #6714] Sun, 16 April 2006 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Not a show, but "The Difference Engine" by William Gibson is in a victorian setting much like Verne. Good read.

Re: The Best Science Fiction Show [message #6719 is a reply to message #6718] Sun, 16 April 2006 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Yes, I read it and always hoped it would get some film attention.

Sterling and Gibson wrote it separately online and used a special
dictionary/search and replace to use Victorian phrases in the
place of modern English.

For all things Steam Punk, check out the Wiki.

And for reading, if you don't know Michael Moorcock's
Captain Bastable stories, those are good as well.

Previous Topic: Why does the BBC do SF and not Hollywood
Next Topic: Thumbs to MWG
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 10:25:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout