Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Autotune
Autotune [message #66904] Tue, 05 April 2011 02:00 Go to next message
miss zoey
Baron
How do you feel about autotune? I don't generally mind it if it's not noticeable but the annoying Ke$ha/Black Eyed Peas-type autotune drives me nuts. It completely ruins a song for me.
Re: Autotune [message #66909 is a reply to message #66904] Tue, 05 April 2011 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I can always tell when it is there. I don't like it. I'd rather have the singer sing it line by line and do 50 takes of each one than use autotune. I'm speaking strictly of it's ability to correct pitch. As a singer myself, there are certain things you can't physically do with your voice and when I hear that on a record it's a dead giveaway. Like when a singer is obviously putting out the same vocal "energy" for two different notes...it's unnatural sounding and an earsore, IMO.

Those people should stop screaming and go get a smokey robinson CD, see how it is done at it's most basic level and take it from there.

I think today's singers either don't practice enough to transition from falsetto to their modal voice smoothly or sing in a manner that makes it impractical. So they have to use autotune to make the notes high enough in their modal voice or lo enough in the falsetto. They are missing half their range because they can't transition. Most of the time a falsetto sounds like a full voice when done correctly.

There's a lot more I could discuss, but I'll leave it there.

All that said, I have no problem with the producer pitch correcting something that is slightly sharp or flat by a few cents. Back in the past, they would have just left it alone anyway, so it's a moot point when it's that sleight.

Re: Autotune [message #66919 is a reply to message #66909] Wed, 06 April 2011 04:38 Go to previous message
miss zoey
Baron
I think that singers just sometimes don't bother because hey, there's autotune! It's such a horrible influence to those younger generations who want to be singers (Rebecca Black debacle)

I think autotune is fun... sometimes.. like as part of the song, but if it's used for the entire song it's just bad.

I watch old music performances (old like 50s 60s) and they don't care if the voice cracks, they just go on performing and it's much more endearing than "perfect" vocals but you can really feel the lack of authenticity.
Previous Topic: Best Movie Score
Next Topic: Construction of a Song
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 02:06:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout