Home » Audio » General » Buying used
Buying used [message #66832] Fri, 01 April 2011 14:36 Go to next message
Kaleb is currently offline  Kaleb
Chancellor
Have you ever had luck buying used electronics on Ebay? It seems like there's a lot of great deals, but are you getting what they advertise?
Re: Buying used [message #66838 is a reply to message #66832] Fri, 01 April 2011 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
russman is currently offline  russman
Chancellor
It's a crap shoot really. Depends on the seller. More often than not, the problems don't lie in the fact of whether the gear was as advertised, but in the ability to pack it properly to arrive in the condition stated.

I try to do most of my purchases local, or from people I know.

Cheers,
Russ
Re: Buying used [message #66841 is a reply to message #66832] Fri, 01 April 2011 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheeta is currently offline  cheeta
Chancellor
I bought an iPod off Ebay and it was a decent price, I thought. I live in Canada and the duty cost was more than I paid for the iPod. Thankfully it worked though.
Re: Buying used [message #66843 is a reply to message #66832] Fri, 01 April 2011 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I would just suggest being weary of anything that has time sensitive components.

Don't buy things with hard drives in them unless they are fairly new.

Skip the 30 year old amp that has never been serviced.

Stuff like that.

Personally I wouldn't buy a CD that's more than 15 years old right now either, unless one were to get it strictly to make FLAC files out of it the day it arrives and couldn't care less about it after that.

Re: Buying used [message #66855 is a reply to message #66832] Sat, 02 April 2011 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
iDummy is currently offline  iDummy
Baron
I have bought a few electronics from eBay buy I have always tried to do it from sellers that only have good ratings. There are a lot of places that do sell new items that are in their original package. Paying with PayPal helps you dispute the charge if the item is not as promised.
Re: Buying used [message #66884 is a reply to message #66832] Sun, 03 April 2011 18:31 Go to previous message
cheeta is currently offline  cheeta
Chancellor
That's a very good point iDummy. I didn't have a paypal account at that time and thought that paying by money order would be traceable, but I guess it doesn't work like that.
Previous Topic: Musical Toys
Next Topic: Computer Speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 10:09:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout