Home » Audio » General » Favorite Old Technology
Favorite Old Technology [message #66822] Thu, 31 March 2011 22:36 Go to next message
iDummy is currently offline  iDummy
Baron
Remember the days in which people were going crazy with eight tracks, and the cassettes, etc. Well my favorite old technology was the mac computer. People think that Windows were the first ones, but all the windows ideas first came via Mac (the click and drag, etc).
Re: Favorite Old Technology [message #66828 is a reply to message #66822] Fri, 01 April 2011 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
That is not accurate. The first computer like that was a Xerox, Mac stole it from them. Gates worked with Jobs as an interloper knowing exactly what had happened and there was nothing Apple could do about since they had committed the same offense, just without the sneaking around.

My favorite old technology is affordable 3-way tower speakers. I still like Solid State A/B amps over Class D. I do not like the cheap op-amp based pre-amps that come in AV Receivers. I'd rather lose 75% of the power and keep a clean, fat signal by ripping that cigarette pack sized board out of the system. The power amp sections normally have big fat giant silicon transistors in them which I like better than Op-amps.

Re: Favorite Old Technology [message #66844 is a reply to message #66822] Sat, 02 April 2011 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
russman is currently offline  russman
Chancellor
Radio blows my skirt up.

The fact I can pull music out of THE THIN AIR still amazes me. How cool is that?
Re: Favorite Old Technology [message #66846 is a reply to message #66844] Sat, 02 April 2011 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Me too, especially I like old tube radios. Knowing I'm listening to a set that someone listened to history unfold through makes me all nostalgic.
Re: Favorite Old Technology [message #66849 is a reply to message #66822] Sat, 02 April 2011 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheeta is currently offline  cheeta
Chancellor
I miss the sound of a record player. That static sound just made it sound right. I have been hearing some of the new music incorporating vinyl sounds into their music, but it's still not the same.
Re: Favorite Old Technology [message #66851 is a reply to message #66849] Sat, 02 April 2011 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There are high-quality vinyl records being sold new. You can stil get high-qiuality turntables too. Not the cheap little record players with USB interfaces, I'm talking audiophile quality gear. Do some searches in the "Source" forum if you're interested.
Re: Favorite Old Technology [message #66858 is a reply to message #66849] Sat, 02 April 2011 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
iDummy is currently offline  iDummy
Baron
I know what you mean about the static sound when listening to vinyl records. For some reason, it makes me very nostalgic. It kind of touches me. I know it sounds silly, but it does makes me remember the times I used to hear it at my grannies house.
Re: Favorite Old Technology [message #66859 is a reply to message #66822] Sat, 02 April 2011 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Clueless is currently offline  Clueless
Viscount
I have such great memories of my dad's eight track system. Back then, I never would have thought that 30 years later, I would have had not one but two iPods that have more than 10,000 songs.
Re: Favorite Old Technology [message #67229 is a reply to message #66859] Tue, 26 April 2011 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I love old tube radios, I have several, but the favorite is a 1939 Philco "Barn" radio Cool . It ran on batteries and really has a nice sound. Next most favorite, is older Marantz equipment, I have two early Receivers and an integrated amp. Nice sound, not up to the silky sound of some newer stuff, but really incredible for 40 years ago.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Favorite Old Technology [message #67235 is a reply to message #66822] Tue, 26 April 2011 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Roxie is currently offline  Roxie
Baron
I personally I am in awe of the moving pictures. I thank god someone thought of it. I has given many hours of pleasure. I still don't get how they get the tiny people to come to the box with the glass front in my room.
Previous Topic: Ripping CD to mp3
Next Topic: Car Stereo getting hot?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 23:59:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout