Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » My room is gone!
My room is gone! [message #66740] Tue, 22 March 2011 22:10 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
My room only has one corner. I tried everything to get a proper image and bass, when called for, in the right channel. Finally, strictly out of convenience and because I'd given up on having even decent soundstage in this place, I pushed the speakers against the front wall. They're even behind the plane of the TV!

index.php?t=getfile&id=336&private=0

This, by accident, may be the best imaging I've ever had: side-to-side, front-to-back. My listening session tonight was among the most enjoyable ever. You've got a one corner room? Try it.
Re: My room is gone! [message #66741 is a reply to message #66740] Tue, 22 March 2011 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You know, Bill, one of my listening rooms was like that in the 1990s and early 2000s. The best placement was pretty much just like what you showed, with the speakers straight forward like that. Even with what I learned from the cornerhorns about the crossed-axes thing, I pushed them back up against the wall, pointed straight ahead or just slightly toed-in. The listening chairs were a few feet away, and even when you moved left or right, you were never more than maybe 20° off-axis. So, really, both speakers were close to being on-axis. I setup like this at an audio show once too, and it sounded pretty good that way.

In general, I find the cross-axes setup works best. But there are some exceptions and I think this is one of them. As they say, the proof is in the pudding.

Re: My room is gone! [message #66754 is a reply to message #66740] Thu, 24 March 2011 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
Hey Bill! What size room do you have? I'm debating where to put audio stuff in our new house, but because the building is coming along very fast, I don't have a lot of time to decide. I can do a fairly small family room that is about 12' wide and 15' deep, open to the kitchen on one side, or I can convert a bedroom by not having a closet built into it. That would give me an enclosed area of about 12x 14. As you know, my speakers are pretty similar to yours. What say you? Or anyone else for that matter?
Re: My room is gone! [message #66911 is a reply to message #66754] Tue, 05 April 2011 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RadioDinosaur is currently offline  RadioDinosaur
Chancellor
Hey Bill, love the speaker idea and I also wonder how you get that table under your TV monitor to float like that. The bottom of the table legs don't even look like their touching the table below them. Maybe it's those perfectly directed soundwaves holding it up perhaps? Shocked
Re: My room is gone! [message #66917 is a reply to message #66911] Tue, 05 April 2011 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Quantum dots.

Re: My room is gone! [message #66931 is a reply to message #66740] Wed, 06 April 2011 22:22 Go to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Any plans to remove the sticker from the front of the TV, Bill? Surprised

Previous Topic: 3pi vs. 4pi
Next Topic: Thinking of running my subs with a PA amp instead of the plate amp I have
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 09:44:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio