Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Gonna energize my 4Pis
Gonna energize my 4Pis [message #66648] Sun, 13 March 2011 22:24 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Pretty soon I'll be blasting HUGE wattage thru them. No more 2 watt 45s or 6 watt 6CA7s, no sir. I just orderd this powerhouse T Amp with an astounding 12 Watts into 8 Ohms!

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqIOKjQE0idK54)RBNZ6HRBDtQ~~_3.JPG

I ordered this partucular one because the vendor was the only one with 8 Ohm numbers and he included the following totally accurate description:

"The Topping T-Amp is a so-called Class T integrated amplifier, based on the TA 2020 chipset. the chip makes use of a kind of "Digital Power Processing", this is, more or less, a Class D amplifier with high rate switching properties. That is why they put the word "digital" into it. Actually, there's nothing really digital inside, not in terms of D/A conversion. You can view the official TA2020 datasheet, with detailed tech specs, The Topping T-Amp is nothing else than a pure and simple application suggested by the chipset datasheet. No magic"

I also like the parts selection

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqIOKk!E0bc2p1L3BNZ6H,jydw~~_3.JPG

Having it also means my grand daughter can safely be around the stereo or TV which is really reason number one!

Should be interesting...
Re: Gonna energize my 4Pis [message #66652 is a reply to message #66648] Mon, 14 March 2011 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve f is currently offline  steve f
Master
Bill,

You sir, are a steely eyed audio man!!! I keep a T-amp (different brand) in my second system that stays on all of the time. My wife uses it in her office. As a group, they ain't bad if you don't push them too hard.

Steve
Re: Gonna energize my 4Pis [message #66653 is a reply to message #66648] Mon, 14 March 2011 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rohitdev is currently offline  rohitdev
Esquire
Bill,

I have been following your 4 pi build info in this forum. Let us know how the T amp sounds. Also do you still have the rope caulk on the H290 horns? I built my 4 pis recently but havent done any damping to the H290 as yet. To me it sounds fine without them, them just curious to see if it'll provide an improvement.

Regards,
Rohit
Re: Gonna energize my 4Pis [message #66659 is a reply to message #66653] Mon, 14 March 2011 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
What? You didn't caulk the horns Shocked Shocked Shocked

index.php?t=getfile&id=330&private=0

Just so you know my DE-250s were over a year old with at least 1000 hours on them before I mounted them to the H-290s. Prior to the 290s, they played through woodhorns which have a seductively musical but less focused sound than the Eminence.

index.php?t=getfile&id=331&private=0

I immediately loved the H-290s except for a noticeably "plastic" coloration. Maybe not plastic but certainly there was an artificial ringing that came with the extra focus that bothered me. The rope caulk eliminated it and took the 4Pis to a new level.

Those who know me are aware I'm not much for tweaks but I am death on vibration control. My crossover is mounted on 1/2" of EAR Isodamp (the blue stuff in the pic) glued to the cabinet bottom with EAR Microsorb (which is why there is wax paper under the board in the pic). The rope caulk is in the same cause and it, like the EAR products, works.

index.php?t=getfile&id=332&private=0
Re: Gonna energize my 4Pis [message #66664 is a reply to message #66659] Tue, 15 March 2011 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rohitdev is currently offline  rohitdev
Esquire
Thanks for posting the pics Bill. The rope-caulking seems easy enough to do. Will try it out soon.
Where did you buy the EAR isodamp blue sheet?
Also did you get a chance to try to class t amp on the 4 pis?
Re: Gonna energize my 4Pis [message #66666 is a reply to message #66664] Tue, 15 March 2011 18:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Michael Percy has EAR products. The T Amp won't be here for a few weeks.
Re: Gonna energize my 4Pis [message #66669 is a reply to message #66648] Tue, 15 March 2011 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justphil is currently offline  justphil
Viscount
What is the rope caulks purpose? To dampen the plastic and stop it from resonating? I know nothing about all this and I'm curious.
Re: Gonna energize my 4Pis [message #66671 is a reply to message #66669] Tue, 15 March 2011 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
justphil wrote on Tue, 15 March 2011 21:28
What is the rope caulks purpose? To dampen the plastic and stop it from resonating? I know nothing about all this and I'm curious.

I don't know what it does. All I know is, in the first few seconds they played when newly built, one of my first thoughts was 'plasticky treble' and would I regret leaving behind the woodhorns.

I once put the caulk on (so-called Cowbell) Altec 811s which had little, if any, effect. But I figured, "what the hell" maybe THEY had the right solution but the wrong horn.

Caulked'm. Right away, plastic sound gone!
Re: Gonna energize my 4Pis [message #66686 is a reply to message #66648] Wed, 16 March 2011 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarlandB is currently offline  GarlandB
Chancellor
Hi Bill,

It's been a while, good to see you still playin' with the 4Pis. I've recently moved on from my Theater 4s (too big) to a pair of 4 pis like yours and am enjoying them a lot. Use the Paramour 2A3's, Adcom 200w beast, and for the past year or so a couple of T amps. The 47hz Amp 6 is the same chip as the amp your getting so I think you will be in for a treat. I've also used the Sure 2x "100W" amp board sold by Parts Express and like it too, especially with the extra boost it gives rock and large scale orchestral music. The combination of power with refinement can't be beat anywhere near the price of these T amps. Dynamic, sweet, huge soundstage, quiet, transparent....all the code words for superior music reproduction. They only fall down a bit on the vague notion of emotion and "musicality", but only a bit. Still very enjoyable.

Resp.

Garland
Re: Gonna energize my 4Pis [message #66698 is a reply to message #66686] Thu, 17 March 2011 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Doc Jr 8156 is currently offline  Doc Jr 8156
Chancellor
Hello,
I been using class D Audio's 120 watt amp and the bass response is amazing. I also noticed that my Class D amp have better and more revealing highs than my tube amps. Godspeed.
Previous Topic: 4 pi: impressions of a newbie
Next Topic: My 4pi Build Report
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 02:26:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout