Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4 pi crossover frequency
4 pi crossover frequency [message #66635] Sun, 13 March 2011 10:25 Go to next message
Mike17W is currently offline  Mike17W
Chancellor
I plan on making a pair of 4 pi speakers but want to use the DE250 and the pi crossover on my 15 inch Altec enclosure with a 16 inch driver until I finish the cabinets. Can you tell me what the crossover frequency is on the 4 pi crossover? I believe my existing Altec crossover is around 1K.

Thanks for all the great information.
Mike
Re: 4 pi crossover optimization [message #66638 is a reply to message #66635] Sun, 13 March 2011 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Do not suppose that the crossover frequency is all that is important, or even that it is most important. Certainly, you do not want to try to push a driver beyond its usable passband but even if you get that part right, if the phase relationship between the two adjacent sound sources isn't right then the forward lobe will be ill-formed. You'll find response ripple in the crossover region, straight on-axis and pretty much everywhere else.

If you are looking for best performance, you can only swap drivers if you redesign the crossovers. You can only "mix and match" drivers with an existing crossover if your expectations are moderate, seeking only a rough approximation of balanced response.

For more information on the crossover design, see the following documents:
Re: 4 pi crossover optimization [message #66639 is a reply to message #66638] Sun, 13 March 2011 11:03 Go to previous message
Mike17W is currently offline  Mike17W
Chancellor
Thanks Wayne. I may just push to complete the cabinets.

Mike
Previous Topic: 4Pi
Next Topic: L pad on crossover?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:01:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers