Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Free sound effects?
Free sound effects? [message #66582] Tue, 08 March 2011 14:10 Go to next message
miss zoey
Baron
Does anyone know a good website that offers free sound effects? We're adding it to our video and we don't really think it's practical for us to buy sound effects since it's just for a school project? We don't know exactly what we need right now but we have a general idea. Simple things like drops of water, a horse galloping, etc..
Re: Free sound effects? [message #66584 is a reply to message #66582] Tue, 08 March 2011 15:50 Go to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I don't have any good suggestions. I would personally use my DVD collection and hook up a RCA to 1/8th" Stereo cable up to a DVD player and record with audacity.

I wanted to say that I am pretty sure that as a student using said copyrighted works that this is fair use and no one should be collecting money for this. You don't have to pay because it is for academic purposes and not commercial purposes.

A ton of metal bands in Europe have used sound from copyrighted sources (not other albums, but movies, ect.) and have never encountered legal troubles. Century Media is a massive label out of Germany and Children of Bodom are an internationally famous band and they have included clips from tons of movies without clearing the rights. In other words, if it isn't a melody or a drumbeat, no one really seems to care if you put it on an album.

If you have a microphone, why not record your own effects if something else can't be found?

I would imagine downloading a handful of discs worth of sound effects is going to waste hours of your time looking for an effect and not finding it. If you are looking for something very specific, like an old stock hollywood sound effect, most of these were compiled and released in a box set by LucasFilm. Those might be floating around if you look hard enough.

Previous Topic: Living Near Train Tracks
Next Topic: Different Volume Levels
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 16:32:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout