Home » Audio » Movies & Music » First prize is a Jane Monheit CD
First prize is a Jane Monheit CD [message #6648] Fri, 31 March 2006 16:37 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Second prize is 2.....
Cuppla weeks ago someone, somewhere rhapsodized about Jane. I have her Come Dream With Me CD for a long time, relegated to a dusty shelf.
So last nite I get it down for a second listen and press "spin".
Right the first time. She really is terrible. Slides up to notes and then flats them. Breathy. Weak on the 'ole intervals.
Can you say "Ted Mack?"
You've been warned!

Re: First prize is a Jane Monheit CD [message #6650 is a reply to message #6648] Fri, 31 March 2006 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
File her with the other tweety-birds. Can you say boring?

Re: First prize is a Jane Monheit CD [message #6660 is a reply to message #6650] Mon, 03 April 2006 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
She's coming here to Amarillo I think, this summer. So I checked out that CD from the library to listen to. The ability seems to be there, but it sounds like she's trying to hard to be convincing and it just comes across as uninterested: like she's trying to sell something she hasn't got.

Who would ya'll recommend. I listen to some of the mainstream stuff like Norah Jones and Joss Stone. Norah's just got that whispery kind of voice that's saying "hey, why don't you come over here for awhile with me". I like Joss's voice on the bluesy stuff she does. People like Diana Krall I just never could listen to much (but I've only heard a couple of her CD's and they may have sucked, so ??). Another one that everybody seems to like but just seems to be dragging along to me. I'm kinda weird that way I guess.

Re: First prize is a Jane Monheit CD [message #6661 is a reply to message #6660] Tue, 04 April 2006 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
We have people who favor those girls and some who don't. What I don't like is the two-dimensional lack of character aspects of their voices. Flat and uninvolving with no real individual take on the songs. It's like they sing by rote; like the robot lady on the bank ATM voice. Their voices are not interesting and they always sound forced and insincere. They sing high up in the throat to compensate for lack of depth so it comes out as weak.
There is just nothing appealing about how they put across the music. Then you know some producer chose the songs and pakaged them. It's like listening to television commercials.
Totally uninvolving.

What kind of music do you like in regards to female vocals? There are some good singers out there who; because maybe they are not blond and attractive enough or will not cave in to the wishes of the label concerning the repretoir' kinda simmer on the back burner.

Re: First prize is a Jane Monheit CD [message #6662 is a reply to message #6661] Tue, 04 April 2006 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I have pretty limited experience with female vocalists. Mainly what I heard growing up. I like Aretha Franklin and Janis Joplin. Bonnie Raitt is another one I like. I like some of Vienna Teng's music, but she can be pretty flat at times. I'm more gravitated to blues style than jazz, so like I said, I like Bonnie, I really like Becky Barksdale. I still think Joss does a good job for the type of music she sings and her live show on PBS was pretty good. Norah just has a voice that's soothing to me I guess. It's what I listen to when I'm stressed. Most jazz vocalists I've heard just don't sound that good to me. They sound off-key half the time, maybe that's how it's supposed to sound? Jazz guitar does that for me alot of the time too. Sounds like the band is warming up and practicing scales. I can listen to Al DiMeola and a few others. Could be I'm not old enough to appreciate it .

Re: First prize is a Jane Monheit CD [message #6663 is a reply to message #6662] Tue, 04 April 2006 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
How about Keri Leigh? Or Rory Block? Good blues women. Jazz has a particular difficulty for women in that the older singers from the best years of vocal jazz were so good and so proffessional that they didn't leave much to the younger generations to express. It is really hard to earn a living singing jazz to begin with; then if you choose standards; you are compared to some of the best vocalists that have ever recorded; Ella; Sarah; June Christy; Nina Simone; Abbey Lincoln; Billie Holiday; the list is endless.
But there are some good inovative artists that are not boring and can actually sing.
Dee Dee Bridgewater; Dianne Schur; Carol Sloane. There is just a few but there are many more.
There are so many jazz guitar virtuosos that there must be some you would like if guitar is a personal favorite. Try John Maclauglin's album; Belo Horizonte', it's very mellow and peaceful stuff; not his usual frantic riffs. One of my favorites for late night.

Re: First prize is a Jane Monheit CD [message #6664 is a reply to message #6663] Tue, 04 April 2006 19:30 Go to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Forgot about Keri. I've got a CD of hers (No Beginner) that is really good. I've heard some of Rory Block's music, but never bought any.

I like some of the older stuff like Ella, Sarah, and Nina. But again, have never went out and actually bought any.

When I was growing up the only music I was exposed to was of my own choosing or what my aunt was playing. My family hardley ever had any music playing that I remember. My aunt who is 8 years older than me introduced me to the Stones, Floyd, Styx, Eagles, Hendrix, Beatles, Van Halen, etc.... I in turn introduced her to AC/DC, Metallica, Rush, and the like. I listened to the harder stuff for years by buying cassettes because the only two local radio stations played country and 80's pop..yuck!!!! Then I remember hearing my first Steve Vai song and that was it--went guitar only for a few years. All the "see how fast I can wank stuff", although Vai is still one of my favorites. Then I heard Stevie Ray for the first time and it was blues. Starting with Texas blues progressing back to Chicago blues and some stuff from across the pond like Mayall. I've never been able to really get into Delta Blues to much. I appreciate it, but I like the distorted guitar thing --more balls I guess.

Now in the last 6 months or so I've started listening to classical, a little jazz, and some of the music I've previously ignored. I've had some jazz guitar stuff. Like I said I like DiMeola, had some Scofield, and listened to some of Maclaughlin's music, but not enough to know it. I've reached the point I want to start expanding a little farther that just straight ahead, freight train heavy riffs.

Previous Topic: Deadwood
Next Topic: Favorite guitarists
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 08:57:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout