Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Best audio editing software for beginners?
Best audio editing software for beginners? [message #66015] Sun, 06 February 2011 13:19 Go to next message
falloutgirl
Baron
I've been using Audacity to edit music for my dance and video presentations and I was wondering if there is another program I could use that has more functions. Audacity is too limited. Maybe something like GarageBand but for Windows?
Re: Best audio editing software for beginners? [message #66017 is a reply to message #66015] Sun, 06 February 2011 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
What limitations are you running into?

Did you install the extra plugins available on the website? Have you you looked around for VST plugins that might solve your problem?

If you are not already, use the Unicode Beta version. It is much more complete than the "recommended" version.

Re: Best audio editing software for beginners? [message #66148 is a reply to message #66015] Thu, 17 February 2011 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nevermind is currently offline  Nevermind
Chancellor
I fear I am too old for this forum. I only know how to edit a reel to reel. Back in the day I made the cleanest splices out there. No pops, not tics. Now I'm completely obsolete Confused
Re: Best audio editing software for beginners? [message #66175 is a reply to message #66148] Fri, 18 February 2011 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Have you checked out a program called Goldwave. It's basicaly a shareware program but the licenses are cheap. It's a little known secret among recording studios. They have plenty signal processing and effects built in, but one of it's strengths is you can go in and redraw the waveform if you overload the A/D converters and eliminate the distortion.

http://www.goldwave.com/index.php

HTH
Bill
Re: Best audio editing software for beginners? [message #66177 is a reply to message #66175] Fri, 18 February 2011 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
That can be done with audacity as well.

I;ve heard of that program and it has gotten good press/reputation. I would probably use it if I wanted to learn another program. I think I may have used it before and if it what I'm thinking of, it was good.

The only problem I have with audacity is that it does not want to record in 44.1, but that is most likely my sound card's fault.

Re: Best audio editing software for beginners? [message #66179 is a reply to message #66177] Fri, 18 February 2011 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I agree, but I haven't used it in about 3-5 years. The last time I used it would only do up to 48Khz sampleing rate. I'm not sure about the sampling rate at 96khz or the 192Khz like they use now days. I've been traviling the world, and in my real job, staying employed. Besides, I'm more of a live sound guy myself.

Bill
Re: Best audio editing software for beginners? [message #66349 is a reply to message #66179] Sun, 27 February 2011 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
falloutgirl
Baron
Actually I haven't really looked into plug ins, which makes me feel kinda silly now for asking before checking for any. While editing for our dances I have a hard time creating mixes and adding transitions and background effects on Audacity. My friend who owns a Mac told me it could be done more easily on GarageBand and maybe I could find a program like it for windows.

Bill Wassilak - Thanks for the suggestion! I will try that out as well Very Happy
Re: Best audio editing software for beginners? [message #66360 is a reply to message #66179] Sun, 27 February 2011 10:45 Go to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Bill Wassilak wrote on Fri, 18 February 2011 11:24
I agree, but I haven't used it in about 3-5 years. The last time I used it would only do up to 48Khz sampleing rate. I'm not sure about the sampling rate at 96khz or the 192Khz like they use now days. I've been traviling the world, and in my real job, staying employed. Besides, I'm more of a live sound guy myself.

Bill

It has no problem with anything up to 24-bit 192Khz. It just stutters trying to do anything "live" at 44.1. If I have a 44.1 file and I want to record a vocal on top of it, I have to use 48Khz or it won't work. That's what happens using a Realtek HD chip driven by Sony XP drivers at least.

Previous Topic: Microphone recommendation?
Next Topic: Audio format converter?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 03:08:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout