Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Microphone recommendation?
Microphone recommendation? [message #66164] Thu, 17 February 2011 23:34 Go to next message
Reverb is currently offline  Reverb
Chancellor
I'm looking for a great quality microphone under $200. Are there any that exist? Right now, I'm using a cheap low quality microphone that I got years ago. I welcome any suggestions. Smile
Re: Microphone recommendation? [message #66166 is a reply to message #66164] Fri, 18 February 2011 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
There are tons.

What are you doing with it?

And for 200, you can get one of the best Dynamic mics made and you can get a good entry level condenser mic.

If you are using it for vocals I would buy two Shure SM58s @ 100 each.

Re: Microphone recommendation? [message #66173 is a reply to message #66166] Fri, 18 February 2011 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Right now, I'm just recording voice overs. However, I'd like to get the best that I can get. I also play guitar and have been known to sing a little (on occasion!). Maybe a little down the line I'll record some music. Smile
Re: Microphone recommendation? [message #66174 is a reply to message #66164] Fri, 18 February 2011 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Then you definitely want to get a condenser mic. And don't forget to buy a phantom power box that usually goes for about 20 bucks.

I am starting to learn that having a PA system and a mic is just not enough for vocals myself. You really need a graphic equalizer, a pre-amp, a compressor and what is called a "sonic maximizer" to get studio quality vocals.

Re: Microphone recommendation? [message #66248 is a reply to message #66164] Tue, 22 February 2011 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woofer is currently offline  woofer
Chancellor
Any advice for someone who just wants to record the audio to go with presentations? I want to be making some tutorials for one of my websites but this cheap Logitech headset doesn't cut it.
Re: Microphone recommendation? [message #66254 is a reply to message #66174] Tue, 22 February 2011 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Adveser wrote on Fri, 18 February 2011 12:24
Then you definitely want to get a condenser mic. And don't forget to buy a phantom power box that usually goes for about 20 bucks.

I am starting to learn that having a PA system and a mic is just not enough for vocals myself. You really need a graphic equalizer, a pre-amp, a compressor and what is called a "sonic maximizer" to get studio quality vocals.

Thank you for the information! I see I'll have to do a lot of research on some of these terms. Razz

The condenser mic I understand though. Do you have any specific recommendations for that?
Re: Microphone recommendation? [message #66259 is a reply to message #66164] Tue, 22 February 2011 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I really can't say. I certainly know what they sound like and what to expect from them and all that, but I have personally never used enough of them to say what is a good choice over another one.

That said. I've been eying the Shure SM86. It's 150 at amazon, which is the cheapest place I have found for it.

I think going with a "SM" model verses a "PG" model from Shure is a step up no matter what.

The good news with the SM86 is that all of the pop filters and shockmounts are in the mic itself, so you don't have to spend money on that sort of stuff.

From what I am reading about it through reviews, it seems that you can sing anywhere from right on top of the mic to about 3-6 inches away and you get about the same gain and volume, so mounting the thing up to keep the dynamics in check is not as serious as it would be with a dynamic mic.

Re: Microphone recommendation? [message #66335 is a reply to message #66164] Sat, 26 February 2011 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I agree with Adveser,

I'd give the Shure SM86 a try, I run the the older SM81 mic that isn't made anymore. I've used it on high-hat cymbal's, acoustic guitars, and they were great on female vocals so much so, that the singers never wanted them again, because they were to accurate.

They wanted the old favorite the Shure SM58's. Which by the way just got voted in PSN magazine as one of the best vocal mics of all time for vocals, but it's a dynamic mic.

And remember condenser mics require phantom power from the mixer, some can run off battery, but you better replace the battery every 4-6 hr's of operation.
Re: Microphone recommendation? [message #66358 is a reply to message #66335] Sun, 27 February 2011 10:31 Go to previous message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hey I have an SM81 too! I agree that the SM86 will probably give you what you need though. Phantom power from the mixer is definitely the way to go; changing out the battery all the time sucks.
Previous Topic: Live Music
Next Topic: Best audio editing software for beginners?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:21:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio