Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Best Movie Score
Best Movie Score [message #66209] Sat, 19 February 2011 05:22 Go to next message
Nevermind is currently offline  Nevermind
Chancellor
While a lot of people will say it's Max Steiner's Gone with the Wind score, I have to go with the Good the Bad and the Ugly. Those five notes just so perfectly evoke the film for me.

So how bout it, What film score does it for you?
Re: Best Movie Score [message #66239 is a reply to message #66209] Mon, 21 February 2011 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GoodVibrations is currently offline  GoodVibrations
Viscount
There are quite a few out there that are such classics. I liked 'Rocky' but it has been overplayed so much that it has lost some appeal for me. Have you ever noticed that at some place in time when you see a movie for the first time, and hear the music score, that it can have an effect on you that will stay with you forever? The music score for 'Ordinary People' did that for me... it was kind of a sad-sounding music that fit the movie perfectly.

Music is a tonic for the tired and weary mind
Re: Best Movie Score [message #66315 is a reply to message #66239] Fri, 25 February 2011 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scoot is currently offline  Scoot
Baron
For soundtrack only, it's gotta be good old Star Wars. The first one, meaning number 4. You know what I mean.

For soundtrack with words (like songs from a musical), my favorite is Chess. Great songs on that one.
Re: Best Movie Score [message #66345 is a reply to message #66209] Sat, 26 February 2011 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SoundCheck is currently offline  SoundCheck
Chancellor
I know the classics have great music, but it's the musical score of an animated film that has stuck in me. I love the soundtrack of "Up". Its music earned the film a Grammy, an Oscar, and a Golden Globe....Its get me teary-eyed when I watch the video of one of its songs, "Married Life". It shows how music does help in effectively telling a story. Razz
Re: Best Movie Score [message #66346 is a reply to message #66209] Sat, 26 February 2011 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The Fountain.

Clint Mansell knows exactly what feeling to convey for a certain scene.

It gets bonus points and is a classic because it was actually composed as full length songs that can stand on their own.

Re: Best Movie Score [message #66355 is a reply to message #66239] Sun, 27 February 2011 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nevermind is currently offline  Nevermind
Chancellor
GoodVibrations wrote on Mon, 21 February 2011 13:32
There are quite a few out there that are such classics. I liked 'Rocky' but it has been overplayed so much that it has lost some appeal for me. Have you ever noticed that at some place in time when you see a movie for the first time, and hear the music score, that it can have an effect on you that will stay with you forever? The music score for 'Ordinary People' did that for me... it was kind of a sad-sounding music that fit the movie perfectly.

A good score will do that for sure. The music from the Exorcist still makes me want to wet my pants! Even if I hear a few notes I get chills.
Re: Best Movie Score [message #66538 is a reply to message #66355] Sun, 06 March 2011 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DJ Dave is currently offline  DJ Dave
Viscount
Yeah, the Tubular Bells song from Exorcist is totally creepy. I wonder how they came up with such a fitting sound. The music itself is enough to just put you in a mood where you are ready to jump!
Re: Best Movie Score [message #66611 is a reply to message #66345] Fri, 11 March 2011 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GoodVibrations is currently offline  GoodVibrations
Viscount
SoundCheck wrote on Sat, 26 February 2011 23:24
I know the classics have great music, but it's the musical score of an animated film that has stuck in me. I love the soundtrack of "Up". Its music earned the film a Grammy, an Oscar, and a Golden Globe....Its get me teary-eyed when I watch the video of one of its songs, "Married Life". It shows how music does help in effectively telling a story. Razz

I will have to watch "Up" again because the first time I was really glued to understanding the story line and though I heard the music, didn't pay a lot of attention. Sometimes it takes one or two viewings of a movie to capture it all. Razz

Music is a tonic for the tired and weary mind
Re: Best Movie Score [message #66847 is a reply to message #66611] Sat, 02 April 2011 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jimdgoulding is currently offline  jimdgoulding
Chancellor
Off the top of my head . .

The English Patient
The Insider
Superfly
The Long Goodbye
Basic Instinct
Silence of the Lambs
The Commitments.

Hear your music, not your speakers
Re: Best Movie Score [message #66900 is a reply to message #66209] Mon, 04 April 2011 21:42 Go to previous message
Clueless is currently offline  Clueless
Viscount
I have a quite a few favorites. However, my top four are: Lion King, Jaws, Schindler's List, and Star Wars. I love the music in the movies. It really helps you transport you to a special place that movie alone can't do.
Previous Topic: What to see this weekend
Next Topic: Autotune
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 08:27:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout