Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Where's the best tweeter position? Aesthetically, too?
Where's the best tweeter position? Aesthetically, too? [message #66219] Sat, 19 February 2011 19:40 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Boxes are glued up and trimmed but now comes the driver positions. You can see by the brace placement the woofer will be in the upper half and the S-B 29 tweeter right above that. I'm seeing recommendations for using the Golden Mean, about 35% from one side for the center.

Don't know if it will be heard, but I kinda like the look and maybe it will increase the soundstage width a bit. I have an architectural trick up the old sleeve for the woofer so it has to remain dead center.

index.php?t=getfile&id=321&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=322&private=0
Re: Where's the best tweeter position? Aesthetically, too? [message #66225 is a reply to message #66219] Sun, 20 February 2011 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I would put the tweeter straight above the woofer, if possible. Maybe if you want to shift to the left or the right for baffle step reasons, do both woofer and tweeter so they're still vertically aligned. That way the nulls are directly above and below, rather than at an oblique angle.

I'm not sure it's terribly important if the nulls are slightly oblique, but the further off it gets, I think it becomes more of a problem. Once you get past 30° or so, it would be hard to keep the nulls out of the listening area. So I would try to reduce the offset, and not even do it unless baffle space dictated it, i.e., just can't fit the parts on the baffle any other way.

Re: Where's the best tweeter position? Aesthetically, too? [message #66231 is a reply to message #66225] Sun, 20 February 2011 17:06 Go to previous message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Oh darn! OK, Straight up and down it is.

Come to think of it, I always blamed this speakers bad sound on either the piezo or the sloped baffle or both. Maybe it was the tweeter off center. Remember this one from about 2002?

index.php?t=getfile&id=323&private=0

They wound up in a roadhouse on the Ohio River somewhere 'cause one thing that sorta 2Pi could do was BOOGIE!
  • Attachment: site1080.jpg
    (Size: 76.63KB, Downloaded 2241 times)
Previous Topic: Request plans and Klipschorn question
Next Topic: Pi 4 Owners: How Big is your "space"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 05:53:42 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers