Home » Audio » General » Books on CD
Books on CD [message #66133] Tue, 15 February 2011 19:21 Go to next message
PopcornAlley is currently offline  PopcornAlley
Chancellor
Looking forward to a family vacation, and would like to play some books on CD to help fill up the travel time hours. Can anyone make any recommendations? The family enjoys comedies and mysteries, but would welcome any suggestions.
Re: Books on CD [message #66194 is a reply to message #66133] Fri, 18 February 2011 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scoot is currently offline  Scoot
Baron
For long trips there are always the Harry Potter books. The books are so much more detailed than the movies, and the CDs really bring the characters to life.

If you want something completely different and amazing, try The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. It's about a boy whose family breeds dogs. You won't even want to stop for rest stops.
Re: Books on CD [message #66592 is a reply to message #66194] Tue, 08 March 2011 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Clueless is currently offline  Clueless
Viscount
Do you have an iPod or any other MP3 player? You would do much better buying your books so you can download them into a player. It would be cheaper and there is not ton of CDs to carry around or change.
Re: Books on CD [message #66617 is a reply to message #66133] Sat, 12 March 2011 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I would also recommend Harry Potter for your trip. They are wonderful, engaging stories, even for adults, while still being appropriate for children. I hope you have a great vacation!
Re: Books on CD [message #66625 is a reply to message #66133] Sat, 12 March 2011 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
We've listened to The Tale of Despereaux one trip. A kids story but quite entertaining. We've also listened to Inkheart and Inkspell and they were both quite good for the family trip. Action, mystery, suspense, fantasy...it was all there.
Re: Books on CD [message #66626 is a reply to message #66625] Sat, 12 March 2011 18:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Can't forget the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy!

http://audioroundtable.com/images/Hitchhik.gif
Re: Books on CD [message #66661 is a reply to message #66626] Tue, 15 March 2011 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tess is currently offline  Tess
Esquire
You beat me to it Wayne - I would definitely have "The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy". You can also download loads of great kids' stuff from the radio.

Tess
Re: Books on CD [message #66670 is a reply to message #66133] Tue, 15 March 2011 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
iDummy is currently offline  iDummy
Baron
I have never heard a book on tape. Are they really good? Some of them seem very expensive and definitely out of my budget. I would really like to give it a try. Is there a way to rent them?
Re: Books on CD [message #66692 is a reply to message #66133] Wed, 16 March 2011 21:24 Go to previous message
GoodVibrations is currently offline  GoodVibrations
Viscount
Here's a spot I was told about, though I haven't tried it yet:
http://www.audible.com/
Looks like a great place to find what you're looking for... and wouldn't you know, it's part of Amazon!

Music is a tonic for the tired and weary mind
Previous Topic: Room for Imperfection?
Next Topic: Streaming from Internet to Computer to TV
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 09:35:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers