Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Plans Request (Plans please...)
Re: Plans Request [message #66091 is a reply to message #66081] Fri, 11 February 2011 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rvsixer is currently offline  rvsixer
Baron
justphil wrote on Fri, 11 February 2011 06:54
Sounds like a great plan. I am going to do the same but build my L/C/R's. I still think I am going with the studios =P

Sounds like another great plan Very Happy . Stand mounted speakers can certainly offer more placement options.

However, unless I already have something to put stand speakers on (bass bin, cabinet, etc), and its a standard vented design, I most always choose the tower version:
1) No speaker stand to build Thumbs Up
2) "Free" bass extension Thumbs Up
3) More lower bass sources for room smoothing Thumbs Up
Re: Plans Request [message #68275 is a reply to message #66091] Tue, 21 June 2011 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Okay so my 2pi Tower kits have been sitting in a box since February. Finally moved into our new place and getting settled in, and so anxious to start the build.

I am planning on building a 2pi as a center channel. In order to fit into my TV stand, I need to cut the height of the woofer box. Its my understanding the tweeter does not need to go into the woofer box (sealed back), so I was thinking of using the standard 2pi baffle dimensions, only with the woofer box shortened/deepened to fit my space.

Please reference attached pic, let me know what you think. I also have the baffle angled towards the seated ear position. Will this work?

Thanks!
  • Attachment: 2pi_cc.jpg
    (Size: 152.99KB, Downloaded 268 times)
Re: Plans Request [message #68280 is a reply to message #68275] Tue, 21 June 2011 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You can't really know what modifications will do without measurements. Sometimes, they're non-issues, other times they really make a difference. In general, the smaller cabinets can be tweaked a little bit in the dimensions because internal standing waves are high enough in frequency that the insulation effectively absorbs them. This makes woofer and port location a little less critical. But you do really need to keep the driver position on the baffle the same for the crossover, otherwise its phase will not interact with baffle spacing to give the right forward lobe. Don't spread the woofer and tweeter apart, for example, because this will make the forward lobe thinner, possibly too thin, depending on spacing.

Re: Plans Request [message #68281 is a reply to message #68280] Tue, 21 June 2011 16:10 Go to previous message
Baron
Thanks Wayne!

Understand on modification and measuring. I did strive to keep the baffle size and driver locations identical to the standard 2pi design, shortening and deepening the box just enough to fit my TV stand.

I really just need the center channel to be most accurate in the vocal range, the rest I can deal with via DSP if problematic Cool .
Previous Topic: 1 Pi and 4 Pi Speaker Plan request
Next Topic: JBL 2206 and Three Pi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 22:28:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout