Home » Audio » Radio » Satellite Radio
Satellite Radio [message #64680] Sun, 14 November 2010 09:11 Go to next message
Scoot is currently offline  Scoot
Baron
I'm looking into satellite radio, to use both at home and in the car. I listen mostly to alternative music and football games. Should I go with XM or Sirius?
Re: Satellite Radio [message #64857 is a reply to message #64680] Tue, 23 November 2010 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NoDirections is currently offline  NoDirections
Chancellor
More people use XM, which might be due to the fact that it's slightly cheaper and can be used on 5 home/car radios as opposed ro Sirius' 4 radio limit per user. I don't use either, so I can't offer much more info.
Re: Satellite Radio [message #65125 is a reply to message #64680] Thu, 02 December 2010 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
compguy is currently offline  compguy
Chancellor
Sirius radio and XM radio have merged, so eventually you will be subscribing to just one company in the near future. They each offered different programming unique to both, but now you get it all in one company. However, since it is just one company, there is no competition so prices may reflect this by rising slightly.
Re: Satellite Radio [message #65516 is a reply to message #65125] Mon, 03 January 2011 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scoot is currently offline  Scoot
Baron
They have merged? Guess I've been living under a rock! Well, that does make the decision easier. Thanks for the info, and I hope the price doesn't go up!
Re: Satellite Radio [message #65721 is a reply to message #64680] Sun, 16 January 2011 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hoptoit is currently offline  Hoptoit
Baron
Shows you how much I know too, I didn't even know there were 2 Satellite radio's that you could choose from. Sounds like since they merged, they pretty much have a monopoly on Satellite radio.

How do you all like Satellite radio? I'm almost sure I am going to buy into it soon.
Re: Satellite Radio [message #65723 is a reply to message #64680] Sun, 16 January 2011 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GoodVibrations is currently offline  GoodVibrations
Viscount
I would love to subscribe to satellite radio and plan to later this year, once taxes have been paid. I have listened to satellite radio actually at car dealerships and was pretty impressed with the variety of radio stations.

Music is a tonic for the tired and weary mind
Re: Satellite Radio [message #65724 is a reply to message #64680] Mon, 17 January 2011 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
As a massive fan of 70's and 80's pop I have a one word review:

Awful!

Here's Why:

The stations have a playlist that feels like hundred songs. I have heard the same songs 5 times each every time I am in the car with someone who has it.

and 2, they still are compressing every single bit of fidelity out the signal and by my ears worse than FM station HAVE TO because of technical limitations.

I would stick with your local Fred FM format. They offer a much much larger playlist at the expense of being of being decade specific.

XM/Sirius:

3/10 for programming.
2/10 for quality.

Run away. Don't buy the hype.

Re: Satellite Radio [message #66068 is a reply to message #65724] Wed, 09 February 2011 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GoodVibrations is currently offline  GoodVibrations
Viscount
I have never had satellite radio, so I must ask these beginner questions... I believe it was more expensive when it started out, but I don't know the current price. Would I pay more than $10 a month?

A concern I had Adveser, was that if I found a station that played the genre I enjoyed, would there be enough variety to keep me entertained? Sounds like that may not be the case.

Even though commercial-free radio is inviting, I'm not convinced it is worth the money unless it is cheap. Now that there is only 1 satellite radio vendor, I wonder if there will be any change in the product offerings in the near future? Sounds like we needed the competition XM just bought up.

Music is a tonic for the tired and weary mind
Re: Satellite Radio [message #66069 is a reply to message #64680] Thu, 10 February 2011 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I think you would like it for a month or two and once the playlist wore thin, you'd be tired of it.

I think you can listen to their stations online, if you know someone that is a subscriber, talk them into letting you use their credentials to check it out.

Re: Satellite Radio [message #66073 is a reply to message #64680] Thu, 10 February 2011 16:31 Go to previous message
MusicDiva is currently offline  MusicDiva
Baron
XM seems much more popular to me. I know that doesn't make it better but I've heard so many good things from people I know that have it. With Sirius, people (at least that I know) don't seem to like it as much.
Previous Topic: Airline radio
Next Topic: The Lone Ranger
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 13:29:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout