Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Book vs Movie
Book vs Movie [message #65439] Tue, 28 December 2010 22:36 Go to next message
GoodVibrations is currently offline  GoodVibrations
Viscount
It's a little difficult for me to read a book first and then enjoy the movie as much as I did the book. Has anyone found a movie that was as great as the book, or better? I would like to know if there are any exceptions to the book vs. movie rule, whereby the movie actually does the book justice.

Music is a tonic for the tired and weary mind
Re: Book vs Movie [message #65442 is a reply to message #65439] Wed, 29 December 2010 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wonderwoll is currently offline  Wonderwoll
Baron
Personally I have never found a movie that is as good as the book. I tend to picture the characters in my head so it annoys me to see them looking different on the screen. My wife does say that the Agatha Christie film adaptations are as good as the novels.
Re: Book vs Movie [message #65449 is a reply to message #65439] Wed, 29 December 2010 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GuitarStrings is currently offline  GuitarStrings
Baron
That's a really good question. For me though, I don't try to compare the movie with the book, just because in all cases, the production companies do not have the time to add every little thing from a novel. They have to cut out scenes and people just for the purpose of trying to fit an entire story into 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours of film. Normally if it's any longer, people won't be all that interested, and even the best novels have their slow moments.

In fact, if I watch the movie first, it makes me want to read the original text to see and take note of all the changes that have been made. Does that make it a bad movie though? I don't think so.

The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar.
Jimi Hendrix

Re: Book vs Movie [message #65452 is a reply to message #65439] Wed, 29 December 2010 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I am the kind of person that likes a clear picture of what is going in a book rather than having to draw those pictures myself, So I go the other way around. I hate when I start placing people's faces on characters, myself. I like a book that has a visual counterpart.

Scarface had a particularly outstanding novel made that was based on the much more thorough script. Half the story was only included in the movie.

I don't really have a preference for which is better. They are two completely different things.

Re: Book vs Movie [message #65719 is a reply to message #65439] Sun, 16 January 2011 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rap14 is currently offline  Rap14
Baron
To be honest there is not 1 movie that I can think of that I thought was better than the book. I love to read so I always read the books before I watch the movies. I feel that most movies always leave something out (that was in the book). I understand that movies are only so many minutes, but come on!

Bee Bop Bee Bop!
Re: Book vs Movie [message #65955 is a reply to message #65719] Thu, 03 February 2011 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Danny is currently offline  Danny
Master
I have heard a lot about the movie "A Clockwork Orange", but never saw it. I know, I know, everybody is amazed that I've never seen it. The book was pretty cool, once you understood the language.
Re: Book vs Movie [message #65961 is a reply to message #65439] Thu, 03 February 2011 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jenny76 is currently offline  Jenny76
Chancellor
I think the reason a movie can never do a book justice is because a book doesn't have the same limit that a movie does. Movies are expected to be about 2 hours, where a book can go on forever. Look at some of the series you see out there, they have 25 or more books sometimes. Books spark your imagination, where in movies, everything is laid out for you simply. I don't think a movie will ever add up right for me.
Re: Book vs Movie [message #66388 is a reply to message #65439] Mon, 28 February 2011 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
miss zoey
Baron
Personally I like reading books after watching the movie. Since it's already given that the book is much better, I like giving the movie a chance to let me enjoy it. Every time I read the book before watching the movie, I get disappointed and feel like I've wasted my money.
Re: Book vs Movie [message #68231 is a reply to message #66388] Sat, 18 June 2011 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DJ Dave is currently offline  DJ Dave
Viscount
So true! Yeah, if a movie is good, you have to know that the book is better. After all, if it was good enough to actually inspire a movie, then it has to be good. But you gotta save the best for last, so, if you haven't already read the book, do it after.
Re: Book vs Movie [message #68246 is a reply to message #68231] Sat, 18 June 2011 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
falloutgirl
Baron
DJ Dave wrote on Sat, 18 June 2011 15:54
Yeah, if a movie is good, you have to know that the book is better.

This is always the case which is why I get a bit annoyed when I find out they are making a movie out of my favorite book because I know it's going to be bad but my love for the book overpowers that annoyance. Haha.
Previous Topic: Jack White
Next Topic: Music for Relaxation and Meditation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 07:16:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout