Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Music & Mood
Music & Mood [message #65595] Thu, 06 January 2011 11:49 Go to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
It's interesting how music and mood are so intertwined. For example, I love the music in my yoga class, but only in class where it relaxes me. Outside of class, I find it irritating.
Re: Music & Mood [message #65660 is a reply to message #65595] Wed, 12 January 2011 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Danny is currently offline  Danny
Master
So true, music really does set the mood. It can make you dance, it can make you happy, make you sad. It can be romantic.... That's why it's always good to be open to different kinds of music. It brings you more to life!!
Re: Music & Mood [message #65666 is a reply to message #65595] Wed, 12 January 2011 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Mood is the actual function of scales and modes, which typically relies on the root note's individual character.

For example:

A Minor - sounds sad and bright. Well defined. (ABCDEFG) (basically every "sad" song you can imagine)

E Min (standard) - sounds mysterious and random (EF#GABCD)(most rock songs/pop songs)

E Phrygian - sounds mysterious and melancholy (EFGABCD) (Yngwie Malmsteen)

D Major - sounds colorful, but sullen and serious (DEF#GAC#)(Rush's Lock and Key)

F# Minor - sounds mysterious and twangy, but cheerfully so(F#G#ABC#DE) (Europe's The Final Countdown, A-Ha's Take On Me)

Needless to say, changing a single note or accidentally hitting the wrong notes has huge consequences.

Whenever you notice the mood of a song changes, it is usually due to a shift in key.

Re: Music & Mood [message #65905 is a reply to message #65666] Mon, 31 January 2011 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Danny is currently offline  Danny
Master
Gee, I've never noticed that, but I guess knowing the keys can help you easily create the exact mood and sound that you want, and knowing how it all works makes it easier from the start.
Re: Music & Mood [message #65907 is a reply to message #65595] Mon, 31 January 2011 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jenny76 is currently offline  Jenny76
Chancellor
That's so true! When it comes to certain situations, there are certain kinds of music that I really love and then other times, I'm not in the mood for them. When I'm dancing, I want up-beat, happy songs. When I'm upset, I like singing love songs or songs with a lot of emotion.
Re: Music & Mood [message #66282 is a reply to message #65666] Wed, 23 February 2011 18:15 Go to previous message
PopcornAlley is currently offline  PopcornAlley
Chancellor
Thanks for explaining the relationship between the two; it is quite fascinating. It seems that when I really need to concentrate, nothing beats classical music to clear your mind. Does anyone else find this too?
Previous Topic: Cage The Elephant
Next Topic: Worst Movie You've Seen
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 05:27:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout