Home » Audio » General » The Sound of Silence
The Sound of Silence [message #65787] Fri, 21 January 2011 06:33 Go to next message
Jorel is currently offline  Jorel
Baron
I don't know about you guys but I have this weird experiences whenever I come to a very quiet place. I will hear a buzzing sound whenever I'm in a silent place. Can someone explain why I hear this thing only when it is real quiet?
Re: The Sound of Silence [message #65791 is a reply to message #65787] Fri, 21 January 2011 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rkeman is currently offline  rkeman
Viscount
The nerve cells in the cochlea (inner ear) are constantly firing, even when there is no sound. This is responsible for the "buzzing" or ringing that you are hearing and is normal. If the ringing is audible in typical surroundings or causes discomfort it may be termed tinnitus.
Re: The Sound of Silence [message #65860 is a reply to message #65787] Thu, 27 January 2011 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jenny76 is currently offline  Jenny76
Chancellor
I've always wondered this myself, but figured it was normal. I don't notice it all the time but sometimes when I'm trying to sleep and it's too quiet, it will happen and it used to drive me crazy.
Re: The Sound of Silence [message #65864 is a reply to message #65787] Fri, 28 January 2011 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jazzlover is currently offline  jazzlover
Baron
Yeah, I noticed this in complete silence. Furthermore, I noticed that when I'm on medication, I hear it even in incomplete silence. Yet I never came to the point of asking what this minute buzzing or whining sound was all about. Thanks to this thread, now I know what it is and I have the peace of mind that it is normal Smile
Re: The Sound of Silence [message #65891 is a reply to message #65864] Sun, 30 January 2011 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I'm glad that this is normal. But is there a way to prevent this from happening? Watching TV is my solution for this so that I would fell asleep while watching and I won't hear that buzzing or ringing sound.
Re: The Sound of Silence [message #65897 is a reply to message #65891] Sun, 30 January 2011 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rkeman is currently offline  rkeman
Viscount
White noise, such as interchannel noise on a radio played at low level, will often mask the ringing and provide significant relief. If the rining is sufficiently bothersome, consult an audiologist because other therapies exist and may prove helpful.
Re: The Sound of Silence [message #65906 is a reply to message #65787] Mon, 31 January 2011 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jazzlover is currently offline  jazzlover
Baron
This "microscopic" hissing sound that we hear in silence can be the reason why people have coined the term "deafening silence." Some people love this sound. Others hate this sound and want to drown it with rock and roll music Smile
Re: The Sound of Silence [message #65939 is a reply to message #65906] Wed, 02 February 2011 11:30 Go to previous message
Baron
It does bother me but I don't want to spend money on something that is normal for everyone. I guess I just have to deal with it. If I get the vinyl player that I want then I could play classical music while sleeping.
Previous Topic: Amazing human ears and brain
Next Topic: iPad vs Galaxy
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 08:03:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout