Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Port length for 2pi studio
Port length for 2pi studio [message #65823] Mon, 24 January 2011 12:42 Go to next message
justphil is currently offline  justphil
Viscount
I'm at work and away from my plans. I found a VERY sturdy 2" cardboard roll for my port. I was hoping to cut it and install it tonight but don't have the sizing. I feel pretty confident it was 1 7/8 but wanted to make sure.
Thanks,
Phil
Re: Port material for 2pi studio [message #65824 is a reply to message #65823] Mon, 24 January 2011 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's right, it's 1-7/8" long.

I'm pretty sure your cardboard tube is the same thing we put in the kits (and in our finished loudspeakers). It's available as a mailer tube, also sometimes used to store architectural drawings and blueprints. It's very rigid - I've joked you can use this stuff for baseball bats and am only half kidding.

Re: Port material for 2pi studio [message #65825 is a reply to message #65824] Mon, 24 January 2011 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justphil is currently offline  justphil
Viscount
So when I buy the kit I get the port?
The thing I found was what fiberglass screen material comes on(I work in a glass shop). It is 2 1/8 in diameter with an 1 15/16 interior opening. This thing could be used as a wiffle ball bat if not ecven something harder. You really have to smack it on something to get it to bend.
Re: Port material for 2pi studio [message #65827 is a reply to message #65825] Mon, 24 January 2011 16:05 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, port material is included in kits that require it. A few models use ports that don't require a round tube, either because it is short enough to be made by stacking scrap panel material and drilling through it or because the port is rectangular. But for those that use a round duct, port material is included in the kit. You just cut it to proper length on a table saw.

Previous Topic: Interested in spikes?
Next Topic: Cure for brightness
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 23:48:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout