Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Cure for brightness
Re: Cure for brightness [message #64899 is a reply to message #64891] Thu, 25 November 2010 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
I just finished my turkey dinner- very good & lots to be thankful for. I agree with Garland that you might want to check your source- it might benefit from better caps or whatever more than the speakers. Many basic cdp's have the sound you describe. I use a Njoe Tjoeb with a lot of mods to it for cd's, and it sounds smooth, and I listen to vinyl a lot, all through 2A3's, so it's all very smoooooth. haha. Sometimes a good speaker just reveals things from on down the line. Still, whatever gets you to the total sound you enjoy is good. Happy Holidays to everyone!!
Re: Cure for brightness [message #64905 is a reply to message #64876] Thu, 25 November 2010 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
My two cents: The resistor idea sounds like the most logical idea and actually directly addresses the problem expressed. Now I'm not entirely sure what this does to impedance, but it raises it. My Technics have a 10ohm Woofer and 8ohm mids and tweeters, and they are still rated at 8ohm. I don't see a big deal with going from 8 ohms to 9 on one driver.

I'd also like to add that this is a "company" supported sub-forum and I really don't like to chime in when the designers would have so much more detailed info and expertise than me, so anything I say should be taken with a grain of salt and is generalized.

Re: Cure for brightness [message #64909 is a reply to message #64905] Fri, 26 November 2010 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Adveser wrote on Thu, 25 November 2010 23:40
My two cents: The resistor idea sounds like the most logical idea and actually directly addresses the problem expressed.

It's also the least expensive solution, because a 10 watt resistor costs about $1.25. Get a couple of one ohm resistors and a couple of 1.5 ohms and try both.
Re: Cure for brightness [message #64912 is a reply to message #64876] Fri, 26 November 2010 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
notben is currently offline  notben
Chancellor
Thanks everyone for the discussion. Just want to reiterate how wonderful I think the speakers perform.

My sources are the following: AR XA turntable with Jico SAS stylus on a M91ed cartridge, several Sony' cd players from the 80's and 90's, ipod, iphone, air tunes etc. and I also have a small home recording studio and I use Apogee DAC's and ADC's, which are some of the industry's best.

One of the reasons I am most suspicious of the Solen caps is that I have tried them before. I have recapped some other speakers with them and gave them hundreds and hundreds of hours. One pair of Sansui SP1700's that sound pretty darn good, I eventually changed one of them back to electrolytics (new of course) and compared them directly to the Solen, and Dayton I might add, for months and and ended up taking the Solens out for the tweeters and 4" mid drivers and used the electrolytics.

I still think I am going to just try a pair of motor runs first before altering anything else.

By the way, one of my favorite new pressings to compare left and right channels is the new Beatles Mono Box Set. Since you are getting the exact same mix in left and right, you can get an excellent comparison of sonics and performance between channels.
UPDATED Re: Cure for brightness [message #65799 is a reply to message #64876] Sat, 22 January 2011 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
UPDATE WITH CURE

I cured my problem of high end harshness. I also had a couple of other audio nuts come over to listen and see if they heard it too.

An oil filled motor run cap was exactly what was needed.

When I was trying caps I would try just a single different one in a single cabinet, put on something from my Beatles Mono box set and listen back and forth for any change.

I heard a distinct change when I put in the oil filled motor run. I then installed the other and I could definitely hear a difference.

I have now lived with it for almost two months and I am so happy. All the detail is there with none of the ear fatigue. My friends who came over again to listen to the change were adamant that there was a definite improvement. One said he could hear a big difference on all types of cymbals.

I am very happy. Thanks for the suggestions. I Can't wait to build some 4pi and maybe some type of towers.
Re: UPDATED Re: Cure for brightness [message #65800 is a reply to message #65799] Sat, 22 January 2011 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
biglaz is currently offline  biglaz
Baron
What size motor run cap are you using and were did you purchase them. I would like to try the same thing.

Thanks,
Robert
Re: UPDATED Re: Cure for brightness [message #65801 is a reply to message #65800] Sat, 22 January 2011 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
10uf, 370vAC just picked some up from a local electronics store that has tons of older stuff and new stuff.
Re: UPDATED Re: Cure for brightness [message #65828 is a reply to message #65801] Mon, 24 January 2011 17:09 Go to previous message
biglaz is currently offline  biglaz
Baron
Thanks for the info.
Previous Topic: Port length for 2pi studio
Next Topic: 4 Pi plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 12:47:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio