Home » Audio » Movies & Music » I should have known
I should have known [message #6572] Fri, 17 March 2006 16:17 Go to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
I loaned my DVD of Bullit to a young guy so he could see it and enjoy the car chase scene. He said "It drags a bit and the car chase wasn't as good as "Gone in 60 Seconds".
I finally realized that some folks have grown up with computer generated movie scenes so to them it's "real" I'm just the opposite when I watch a movie. If it's not fantasy or Sci-Fi then I want it real. Action movies are the worst. One guy fights sometimes hundreds of bad guys and wins? Gimmie a break here. Or they all line up so he can kick their butts one at a time
Rant over, time to crawl back into my cave.

Re: I should have known [message #6575 is a reply to message #6572] Sat, 18 March 2006 17:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Bullit had style; and Steve McQueen not to mention the Shelby Mustang. And Jaquellin Bissett; as well as Vic Tayback and Robert Duvall. What it didn't have is speeded up motion to make the cars look like they were going fast and cartoon representations of what happens inside the cylinders. Sheeesh!
We are the remnants of a dying breed man. Nobodies funny; movies are silly; Actors are childish; the women look like they are all twelve yrs old. Music is terrible; TV is bland and simple; It's a sad thing my friend.
I bought old tapes of William F. Buckley Show so I could remmember what it's like to watch someone talk like an adult. And old tapes of the Dean Martin and Johnny Carson show so I could remmember what entertainment is.

Re: I should have known [message #6578 is a reply to message #6575] Sat, 18 March 2006 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
I was in my 20's and a big fan of R & R but still I watched Andy Williams & Perry Como because they had class and entertained. Ernie Kovacs was 15 years ahead of his time. Jack Benny, Burns & Allen, Sid Ceasar and Bob Newhart; those people were funny. Letterman is an ass and Leno will never replace Carson.

Re: I should have known [message #6584 is a reply to message #6572] Mon, 20 March 2006 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I agree with you, 100%

I enjoy many of the recent action movies, even some of thoise that are pretty far fetched. But they have to have a really compelling plot for me to get past the 1-guy-against-100 thing. If they're a superhero, in the Matrix or something, well, you're already expecting supernatural behavior. But if it's supposed to be mere mortals using actual machinery, I can't stomach the BS.

One of the best examples was "The Fast and the Furious", which was absolutely stupid. The wheelie from the blown Hemi Charger was pathetic; Disgusting because they faked it when the car could have actually yanked the front end up easily with slicks on the right surface, they do it all the time at the drag strip. So to fake the wheelie instead of just setting up to shoot an actual wheel stander was unforgivable, in my opinion. The rest of the movie was equally stupid, and I just couldn't suffer the foolishness of that film.

Re: I should have known [message #6585 is a reply to message #6578] Mon, 20 March 2006 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
MWG; I just bought the entire Dick Cavett series. Woody Allen/Bob Hope/Jack Benny/Bill Cosby/Groucho Marx really good stuff.

Re: I should have known [message #6592 is a reply to message #6584] Mon, 20 March 2006 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
My boys told me how great that movie was so I tried to watch it when it came on. Like you I lasted about 3 minutes and got up and left the room. It's like the flying bus in Speed. Another crock of it.

Re: I should have known [message #6593 is a reply to message #6585] Mon, 20 March 2006 18:57 Go to previous message
Grand Master
Dick Cavett, not there was someone I enjoyed watching. He was funny and very sharp. I can remember listening to a lot of radio shows as we didn't get TV until the mid 50's. For years I had this mental image of Benny's basement with it's alligators

Previous Topic: South By Southwest Music Festival
Next Topic: I can't wait
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 23:07:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout