Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » It's so great to have 12 inches
It's so great to have 12 inches [message #65638] Sun, 09 January 2011 16:43 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Raising the 'Whatsis' speakers 12" to get the tweeters at ear level made a huge difference in image and tone, and the concrete block really adds a 'certain something' to the decor. Gonna raise the 4Pis 8" next.

index.php?t=getfile&id=306&private=0
Re: It's so great to have 12 inches [message #65639 is a reply to message #65638] Sun, 09 January 2011 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jenny76 is currently offline  Jenny76
Chancellor
Looking great! Making sure everything is at the right level in the room (as well as TV distance) is so important, not only for sound but for the overall viewing/listening quality. It completely changes the entire experience. I don't think enough people realize that Razz
Re: It's so great to have 12 inches [message #65640 is a reply to message #65639] Sun, 09 January 2011 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Melissa is currently offline  Melissa
Viscount
http://audioroundtable.com/images/Wow.jpg
Re: It's so great to have 12 inches [message #65641 is a reply to message #65640] Sun, 09 January 2011 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Laughing Now, that's good stuff.

Seriously, looking good.
Re: It's so great to have 12 inches [message #65654 is a reply to message #65641] Tue, 11 January 2011 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Gee, ya think it was the headline that brought out the girls...errrr....women? Nahhh. They're audiophiles, they knew I was referring to stands.

Eddies lovely Mom, I know; Hi Jenny.

So heres what 8" looks like

index.php?t=getfile&id=307&private=0

Once again, imaging and tone are drastically affected, but where the Thingamajigs snapped into focus, the 4Pis need more position tweaking. The latter will never image like the dome tweeter system but the 4Pi has a substantial edge in clarity. The texture of the music is better presented.

What really sets the 2 systems apart, tho', is the total lack of bass slam by the 4Pis, accentuated by raising them. In contrast, the Utah woofer suspension, or the lack of it Cool, really delivers kick drum and the "E" string. With its original port, the booms could be heard out on lake Erie. With the port sealed, the bass is well-controlled but still somewhat outsized. I like it. I really like it.

I have the 2 - 15" Dayton subs I used 2 years ago in the bigger cottage living room; I don't know about bringing them into this small sitting room to flesh out the bottom octaves of the 2226Js.

I sure hope the gals didn't notice the dust.....
Re: It's so great to have 12 inches [message #65655 is a reply to message #65654] Tue, 11 January 2011 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I know what you mean. The 2226 are very powerful, and they can really produce some midbass but not the deep low notes. For that, you really need subs. That's the best way to go, but it does take some space.

I remember the 2205 woofers from days gone by. I don't know if it's my nostalgic memory or not but it seemed like they really hit the low notes. Then again, the multisub arrangement is better. You just gotta have the room for everything. End tables perhaps?

Re: It's so great to have 12 inches [message #65667 is a reply to message #65638] Wed, 12 January 2011 11:47 Go to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Looks cool man. So one of them has a dome tweeter and the Pi's have compression tweeters?

MY PA has a compression tweeter crossed over at 4.5K and it murders the 3-way silk domes in clarity, but I like the smoother and more extended response of the 3-ways better myself Smile

Perhaps the treble roll-off is exaggerating the 4-8K region or the lack of serious weight in that region in the 3-ways is to blame.

I personally hate the sound of overemphasized 4-8Khz. That's where our ears are most sensitive (actually 3-6K, but close enough), so I don't think there's any reason to jack those up. Those frequencies create clarity in the low-side and sibilance, sharpness and edginess in the higher-side of that range.

I do like plenty of 8-16Khz though.

On the Bass end, I like the output signal putting out almost a reversed roll off (roll in?) on the bass. The spectrum analyzer shows the bass is about 10db louder than anything else at 20hz and slopes down into a straight line until the treble roll off occurs.

You are 100% right in my opinion on the tweeter being ear level. Wayne has said in the past that some speakers are not focused there so it always helps to check to see if something new works too.

I plan on adding some subs eventually to help out the speaker's somewhat lean 35hz-40Khz through a 10.5" woofer. I think that is the right thing. Especially when dealing with albums that are mixed to be felt through your bones and heard with your ears.

Previous Topic: 2pi studio bracing and port
Next Topic: My Pi 4 Speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 15:26:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout