Home » Audio » General » Video games (what's the best approach)
Video games [message #62193] Thu, 25 March 2010 23:52 Go to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Looking to install a video game system in my Armada for the kids. What's the best monitor to use? I'm adding a couple of power inverters (2x400w), so I can run AC. Really want something around 19" (or less) wide-screen. More than likely I'll use a Wii (480i). Currently has component cable but can easily switch to composite. Looks like a set with a tuner is going to be the easier route - no upscaling and can directly plug video into TV with a single RCA.

Amazon has a pretty nice one that I'm leaning towards.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0028QDO0M/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_t1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1ZF0524Z7BE5T5FWE55T&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

This set also has enough inputs that it can handle another source from the DVD player that's already installed and drives 3 monitor (1 drop-down and 2 on headrests)

Does this seem like a reasonable approach or am I missing something?.....C
Re: Video games [message #62194 is a reply to message #62193] Fri, 26 March 2010 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sounds reasonable to me. With the DC/AC converter, it makes this pretty similar to the decisions you'd make for setting up a small home system. It's important that the devices you connect be able to work on converter power, which isn't a sine wave but rougher, so check that. You'll probably be OK. And like you've probably already found, for video signal connections, component is better than composite. Where you're running from a digital source (DVD), HDMI may be a good option as long as the signal run isn't too long.

Re: Video games [message #62229 is a reply to message #62193] Tue, 30 March 2010 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lancelot is currently offline  Lancelot
Viscount
That would be great but I would suggest that you buy your kids hand-held game consoles instead having a 19" monitor installed in your vehicle for gaming. For me, A vehicle is for transportation and we can play after we arrive to our destination.
Re: Video games [message #64267 is a reply to message #62193] Mon, 11 October 2010 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cuzido is currently offline  cuzido
Chancellor
Actually, I disagree with you Lancelot. I know for long trips and such having a setup like that would make the trip a whole lot easier. You shouldn't have to hear "are we there yet?" or "I am so bored". In my case I believe it would keep down the bickering some too.
Re: Video games [message #65623 is a reply to message #62193] Fri, 07 January 2011 10:53 Go to previous message
MusicDiva is currently offline  MusicDiva
Baron
Having games in the car for kids is a wonderful idea. I have heard of people watching movies in the car, which I find pretty neat, but never playing games. That's pretty cool. As long as the driver's not distracted, I think it should be fine Smile
Previous Topic: DJ Hero
Next Topic: Use memory card instead of CDs?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 12:57:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio