Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2 pi tower baffle
2 pi tower baffle [message #65587] Thu, 06 January 2011 09:04 Go to next message
justphil is currently offline  justphil
Viscount
In the plans it shows the front of the tower being 16" wide. Is the baffle actually 16" wide or if using 5/8 stock would it be 14 3/4? I have the same question about the back of the cab.

You say use hardwood for bracing. Can MDF be used?
Re: 2 pi tower baffle [message #65589 is a reply to message #65587] Thu, 06 January 2011 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The cabinet dimensions are outside dimensions. It is really designed for 5/8" wood stock, so when using 3/4", the 1/8" difference makes the internal volume slightly smaller but it's a drop in the bucket. There is no need to adjust the internal dimensions for such a small shift, as the driver's electro-mechanical parameter shifts during normal use do far more than that.

Braces can be made from any scrap wood that is reasonably strong.

Re: 2 pi tower baffle [message #65599 is a reply to message #65589] Thu, 06 January 2011 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I understand that 5/8 is reccomended but I dont know if you answered my question =)
Does the front go over the sides or sit between them?
Re: 2 pi tower baffle [message #65600 is a reply to message #65599] Thu, 06 January 2011 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It doesn't matter. Make outside dimensions 16" x 13" x 46". The little smidge of volume differences from different overlap arrangements don't matter. It's kind of the same thing as the different wood thicknesses. So just make the outside dimensions right, put the port and drivers in the right places and get the braces and insulation in there properly and it will sound good.

Re: 2 pi tower baffle [message #65601 is a reply to message #65600] Thu, 06 January 2011 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Thanks.
I appologize as I always seem to over complicate things.
Re: 2 pi tower baffle [message #65609 is a reply to message #65601] Thu, 06 January 2011 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

No problem at all. That's what this forum is here for and I'm a firm believer that there's no such thing as a dumb question. Better to ask and get it right than to go on a wrong assumption and get it wrong. Can't hurt to sail the question out via internet and check back for the answer at a convenient time. Besides, now the question/answer is there for the next person, just a click away from the search button.

Re: 2 pi tower baffle [message #65625 is a reply to message #65609] Fri, 07 January 2011 11:18 Go to previous message
tman is currently offline  tman
Chancellor
Wayne Parham wrote on Thu, 06 January 2011 23:05

No problem at all. That's what this forum is here for and I'm a firm believer that there's no such thing as a dumb question. Better to ask and get it right than to go on a wrong assumption and get it wrong. Can't hurt to sail the question out via internet and check back for the answer at a convenient time. Besides, now the question/answer is there for the next person, just a click away from the search button.

That should be written on internet history books! Very Happy

Quote:
Does the front go over the sides or sit between them?

I am going to make a structure like this:
http://www.loretorc.org/extra/pi2t-struct.png

I think it should be a little stronger... Isn't it?
Previous Topic: [Pi2 Tower] Insulation on braces
Next Topic: 7pi plans please
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:02:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout