Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Bamboo Plywood
Bamboo Plywood [message #65506] Sun, 02 January 2011 17:06 Go to next message
pizzachef is currently offline  pizzachef
Esquire
Anyone have an opinion on bamboo plywood for speaker construction? I have seen several people using it but don't know much about it.
Re: Bamboo Plywood [message #65507 is a reply to message #65506] Sun, 02 January 2011 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've never used it, but I can tell you that I've seen a lot of plywoods that aren't suitable for speaker building. Most aren't, actually. The thing to watch out for is internal voids between plies that have debris which causes a buzzing sound. Worse yet, loosely attached fibers in an internal void that break off after a few hundred hours of playing time, so the speaker develops a buzz long after it was built. That can be a real disappointment.

It's hard to say whether a wood panel has this kind of defect just by looking at it. It's also hard to learn whether a new product will be good or bad in this respect until you've had a lot of experience with it. In most cases, some panels are fine, so the whole deal is a crap-shoot. The only plywood I've had consistently good luck with is baltic birch. If you try this bamboo product, please report back and let us know how it works out for you.

Re: Bamboo Plywood [message #65508 is a reply to message #65506] Sun, 02 January 2011 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey Chef - you might find this link http://www.hpva.org useful, the Harswood Pywood and Veneer Assoc.

What Wayne says about voids and loose bits is all too true. Lumber core is no longer a guarantee of quality, either. Baltic Birch, even with all the 'footballs' these days is the best choice.

I quit working with MDF, it's too nasty/dusty to cut and too fragile on edges. My last speakers I built with a premium plywood from Lowes, Arauco, and it had no voids or looseness. That's taking a chance, tho. There's also ApplePly and other plastic and/or wood lattice cores but they cost.

Can I get a Sausage and Pineapple to go?
Re: Bamboo Plywood [message #65510 is a reply to message #65506] Sun, 02 January 2011 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nicksgem10s is currently offline  nicksgem10s
Esquire
I use Plyboo brand bamboo plywood (from Smith & Fong) for audio projects and think it is far superior to other available ply/baltic birch/mdf.

Their are a couple of things to be aware of with this product. It is very expensive for the raw materials. It is also extremely heavy.

Some speaker manufacturers are using bamboo plywood in their reference level products. They all include a premium upcharge due to the cost of the raw materials. It can be beautiful and I think it is probably the best sounding plywood material available.

It is beautiful and also supposed to be a much more renewable resource than wood.

Be careful and make sure you have an excellent blade on your tablesaw.

It is also much better to have two people if you pickup an entire 4x8 sheet as it is a bit much to handle for one person.

I am actually planning on building a pair of 4pi speakers from Plyboo in the beginning of the year.

I currently have a pair in mdf that I purchased from another DIYer.

Love the speakers and mine are the basic drivers and crossover. Unreal value Wayne!

Happy New Year!

-Nick

Re: Bamboo Plywood [message #65511 is a reply to message #65510] Sun, 02 January 2011 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pizzachef is currently offline  pizzachef
Esquire
Thanks. Given that these are my first, I think I will stick with MDF, and get fancier with the next set
Re: Bamboo Plywood [message #65514 is a reply to message #65511] Mon, 03 January 2011 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tman is currently offline  tman
Chancellor
I beg your pardon for a (probably) stupid question...
I hope there are no contraindications on covering mdf
with any 4mm plywood (I'm going to use okumè). Are there? Confused
Re: Bamboo Plywood [message #65519 is a reply to message #65514] Mon, 03 January 2011 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

No problem at all.

Re: Bamboo Plywood [message #65520 is a reply to message #65519] Mon, 03 January 2011 07:37 Go to previous message
tman is currently offline  tman
Chancellor
Thank you! Smile
Previous Topic: seven π plans
Next Topic: pi seven top horns?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 09:23:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio