Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » High-Fidelity Uniform-Directivity Loudspeakers Whitepaper
High-Fidelity Uniform-Directivity Loudspeakers Whitepaper [message #65448] Wed, 29 December 2010 16:56
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've written a whitepaper on waveguides and constant directivity loudspeakers available at the link below. Seems like I've often gotten the same questions and comments over the years, and I've tended to reply with a list of links to documents and messageboard threads. There were about a dozen posts that sort of covered the main concepts, so I usually referenced them. Basically, this whitepaper is a compilation of each of those in one document.
Topics discussed:
  • History of horns, constant-directivity and waveguides
  • Evolution of directivity control features
  • Introduction of the matched-directivity two-way loudspeaker and the constant-directivity cornerhorn
  • Crossover considerations for constant directivity: top-octave compensation, bottom-shelf damping and SPL matching
  • Reasons for needing top-octave compensation, and the reasons for differences in specific implementations
  • Matching the horizontal coverage patterns and using the crossover and driver positions to shape the forward lobe
  • Horn throat diffraction, mouth diffraction and cabinet edge diffraction
  • Baffle influence on directivity, aka baffle step
  • Room modes and floor bounce
  • Multisubs
Previous Topic: 4 Pi Plans
Next Topic: New Year, New Tweeter, Merry Christmas
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 15:33:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio